News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  2D using OpenGL  (Read 1933 times)
Offline GergisKhan

"C8 H10 N4 O2"

« Posted 2003-06-09 14:22:59 »

This has been asked numerous times, so I apologize for the reiteration.

This is a conceptual problem.

Could anyone please explain to me the basics of running a 2/2.5D game in OpenGL?  What I've been asked to do is to start the consideration of moving from the flat, 2D version of our game which will be released shortly, to a full 3D engine.  This is at least a six-to-nine month conversion, and may be longer, depending.

Our goal would be to use a 3D engine, but retain an "overhead" view as the game really doesn't take well from a playability point from the first-person, or even second-person ( 6 feet behind and slightly above ) perspectives.

Of course, LWJGL is the only way to go here.  But I'm very lost on the concepts and I perceive I need to relearn everything I know of writing games.  

Specifically, what I'm asking is:

The game's perspective is 30-35 degrees off the ground, looking down.  Think Diablo II, Command and Conquer, Arcanum, and so on.

What happens to all the "tiles" we have built?  What about terrain?  I keep hearing and seeing code regarding LOD, textures, Octtrees (now that I know what these are) and so on.  Will I be creating terrain as a height map, and wrapping these tiles over them?

What happens to scenery objects, both the ones you can walk over (I call these scenery) and the ones that obstruct you (I call these foregrounds)?  Do they in essence become "sprites" with wrapped "textures"?

I'm guessing that sprites are no longer a series of images for each angle the character points in.  Rather, it's a "model" with a wrapped "texture" developed in a program designed for such. (We use Poser).  How would I do such a thing?  (No code, please; this is just a technology exploration).

If anyone has any help they can assist I would GREATLY appreciate it.

gK

"Go.  Teach them not to mess with us."
          -- Cao Cao, Dynasty Warriors 3
Offline bedelf

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

« Reply #1 - Posted 2003-06-09 16:39:10 »

Well.. shit.

Seriously, if you have a game thats even halfway done, just finish it... if you wanted to use LWJGL for just 2D it wouldn't be THAT hard to convert it..

..but it sounds like you acually want to go 3D with textured models and the whole crapola.. I assume this is for a reason? I would like to do this with my game because of animations/showing items on characters etc.. but I can't handle the extra complexity on my own. I don't know how to model, and I really don't want to learn. The art/sounds/music is going to be near impossible for me as it is.

But on your real questions, I can only speculate, so I'll keep my speculatory speculations to myself.

edit: seems like I never got around to the point of my post. I wanted to know why exactly you were wanting to move to 3D. That is all.
Offline GergisKhan

"C8 H10 N4 O2"

« Reply #2 - Posted 2003-06-09 16:42:08 »

As I indicated, I'm in the completion stages, so there's ZERO chance of this happening now.  This is a technology exploration for the future that I'm compelled to start now... if only to shoot it down.

A big reason, as you put it, is perhaps better detail on the characters themselves.  Rather than having to dump animations of the characters sixteen different ways to indicate different clothing, it might be nice to just have different textures to wrap on the model.  Assuming, of course, that this is the way it is done.  I am not really sure.

Speculate away, I'd be happy to hear what you think.

edit: One additional reason that comes to me is that I think there is a tremendous amount of power afforded to the game if it shifts to OpenGL; that is to say, there's a lot of flexibility with camera views, so that even if *I* don't care for it, it could be an option.  Other things are raw speed (it IS native code, after all), and avoiding the use of non-gaming components (Swing/AWT) for gaming.  Not that it's a big problem right now, but depending on how things go, I wonder if it will be.

gK

"Go.  Teach them not to mess with us."
          -- Cao Cao, Dynasty Warriors 3
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline bedelf

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

« Reply #3 - Posted 2003-06-09 16:52:42 »

Ah ok, for the future, almost strangeled you. Wink

it might be nice to just have different textures to wrap on the model.  Assuming, of course, that this is the way it is done.  I am not really sure.

Might be nice is definately and understatement. I'm pretty sure this is how it's done. Also, I'm pretty sure you can break the model up and load a different head and whatnot. I'm not totally sure what Poser is exactly, but your game would have to be modeled in a Maya/3dsmax type program, where you would just create the model and animate it various ways, and then load it into your game, pretty sure anyways. Which then requires you to bring in someone who knows that crap.

In terms of a 3D world, terrain, I have no frickin clue. Wink The camera stuff seems easy enough, it's just a viewpoint afterall, opengl is going to handle most of this, you just need to worry about culling things outside the view fustrum (viewable volume(thats SO speculation(seriously))).

I think I'm done making an ass out of myself.

edit to your edit:

there's a lot of flexibility with camera views, so that even if *I* don't care for it, it could be an option.  Other things are raw speed (it IS native code, after all), and avoiding the use of non-gaming components (Swing/AWT) for gaming

..yep, yep, yep, and another yep for good measure.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 342
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #4 - Posted 2003-06-09 18:25:13 »

Mojomonkey has just posted a really neat LWJGL terrain renderer up. That's a start on what you're asking - pick his brains over it, I'm sure he'll let on a few secrets Wink

Cas Smiley

Offline Mojomonkey

ooh ooh eee eeee

« Reply #5 - Posted 2003-06-09 21:50:55 »

If you find that something I've been doing is applicable I'll be more than happy to help with anything I can. Just let me know.

Don't send a man to do a monkey's work.
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

pw (35 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (33 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (21 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (24 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (55 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (47 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (38 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (43 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (59 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (56 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org