Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  New version of Jirr  (Read 1202 times)
Offline zingbat

Senior Devvie

Java games rock!

« Posted 2006-02-06 15:57:46 »

Theres a new version of Jirr (Java irrlicht binding) for anyone who is interested to knowing:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/jirr/

Together with BeanShell this may work out as a great workflow to develop games.

1 - fast prototype with BeanShell + Jirr + Irrlicht
2 - redesign and recompile the apropriate bean shell classes into java native classes
3 - repeat until satisfied
4 - start feeding content to your game
Offline Amos Wenger

Senior Devvie

Everything's possible, but not everything's fun...

« Reply #1 - Posted 2006-02-06 17:43:04 »

And what about physic simulation ? Sound management ? Network handling ? Game design ?

"Once you start working on something, don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it. People who work sincerely are the happiest"
Offline zingbat

Senior Devvie

Java games rock!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2006-02-06 22:16:25 »

And what about physic simulation ? Sound management ? Network handling ? Game design ?

Do you want a complete workflow to create a game? There are plenty of good articles in gamasutra and gamedev.

Incidently none mentions the use of prototyping to develop a game. Aparently the quality of the games being produced today is considered acceptable compared to the time used into building a prototype and then throwing the code away. Probably they just acept that without much tought just like a lot of people think java gaming is waste. Very rare are the game studios that can setup a plan and complete in time. Most studios take an extra 6 months schedule to fix things up that were missed in the design phase and sometimes games get considerable feature cuts to be released on time.

There is a big advantage in using Bean Shell however. This scripting language is syntax compatible with Java so when you are finished with some part of the prototype you can just compile everything into classes.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Amos Wenger

Senior Devvie

Everything's possible, but not everything's fun...

« Reply #3 - Posted 2006-02-07 17:12:25 »

Do you want a complete workflow to create a game? There are plenty of good articles in gamasutra and gamedev.
Actually, no. I'm focusing myself about physic simulation, and I learn more every day. But when I'll have enough experience, I will have to find a complete workflow to create a game. Gamasutra and Gamedev are invaluable resources and I go through them every day. But they're not *that* friendly with Java.  Angry

Incidently none mentions the use of prototyping to develop a game. Aparently the quality of the games being produced today is considered acceptable compared to the time used into building a prototype and then throwing the code away.
Maybe..

Probably they just acept that without much tought just like a lot of people think java gaming is waste. Very rare are the game studios that can setup a plan and complete in time. Most studios take an extra 6 months schedule to fix things up that were missed in the design phase and sometimes games get considerable feature cuts to be released on time.
I agree entirely with you on this point. How many times you see in Gamasutra's postmortems that "we would have implemented that and that, if only we had the time and credits"..

There is a big advantage in using Bean Shell however. This scripting language is syntax compatible with Java so when you are finished with some part of the prototype you can just compile everything into classes.
Seems like an interesting way to go. I already took a look at Groovy and Jython, but none of them were useful for me.
So, I wouldn't mind testing BeanShell in game development and actually I love testing new game development technologies (otherwise I wouldn't code in Java  Wink ), but Do you think libraries too can be developed with BeanShell ?

Note : I'm sometimes amazed by the screenies I can see on Irrlicht website. I didn't wanted to say Jirr wasn't good, I just wanted to "launch" a discussion about a game middleware. Actually I think I'll post another subject about that, because it seems like I'm off-topic here.

"Once you start working on something, don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it. People who work sincerely are the happiest"
Offline zingbat

Senior Devvie

Java games rock!

« Reply #4 - Posted 2006-02-07 18:36:10 »

BeanShell let's you work with typeless variables and add methods to objects (closures) dynamicaly. This is a gradual refinement process. Once you are completely sure about what classes and types to use just compile the script to java classes and import those classes directly into the other beanshell scripts.

They say that Irrlicht works on the xbox (i never tried it myself). With an hand-made BeanShell interpreter made in c++ (ansi standard that only accesses irrlicht code) it would be possible to have your games run both in platforms with a java vm or interpreted in the xbox. Thats a possibility im considering when using this solution. Since there is no jvm to run on it the only solution is to make a simple one to interpret  beanshell scripts. This should not be a problem because Irrlicht provides its own development environment for the xbox with its own filesystem classes, xml parser, stl like data structures and a load of other stuff.

Edit:You do loose the benefits of a jvm this way but since all xboxes have the same specs there is not really a big difference having an hand made beanshell interpreter or running on top of a jvm.
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

toopeicgaming1999 (21 views)
2014-11-27 05:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (19 views)
2014-11-27 05:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (7 views)
2014-11-27 05:20:08

SHC (24 views)
2014-11-26 02:00:59

SHC (24 views)
2014-11-26 01:53:45

Norakomi (24 views)
2014-11-26 01:26:43

Gibbo3771 (22 views)
2014-11-25 09:59:16

trollwarrior1 (36 views)
2014-11-23 02:13:56

xFryIx (74 views)
2014-11-14 02:34:49

digdugdiggy (52 views)
2014-11-13 11:11:50
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-10 12:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-03 12:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-17 00:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-06 09:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-02 06:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-02 06:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-08-01 06:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-08-01 06:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org