News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  RPG Tutorials  (Read 1555 times)
Offline barkera0

Senior Newbie

« Posted 2006-02-03 08:06:23 »

Hello all, I have a basic knowledge of creating games in Java and a good general knowledge, but I want to look into creating a RPG for Java. Can anyone point me to any good examples or prefferably tutorials? Thankyou.
Offline kylix999

« Reply #1 - Posted 2006-02-03 08:10:23 »

well there are videos of making rpg from some game company here, maybe they will help you in some way
http://www.rdxgames.net/projects/wrathlands/index.html

and here you will have some discussion about those videos:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=365333&PageSize=25&WhichPage=1

also maybe here:
http://www.gamingw.net/tutorials/
http://www.ambrosine.com/resource.html
Offline barkera0

Senior Newbie

« Reply #2 - Posted 2006-02-03 09:05:50 »

If I were a C++ Programmer that would be great resources, and while some of ther discussion is a bit helpful none of it really helps a Java programmer excep for ideas.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline kaffiene
« Reply #3 - Posted 2006-02-03 10:15:28 »

anything you can code in c++ can be translated into Java fairly directly, so it should all apply.  If you have java-specific questions, ask Shocked)
Offline barkera0

Senior Newbie

« Reply #4 - Posted 2006-02-03 10:33:39 »

I did, I said I needed a tutorial or example for creating an RPG, seen we are on a Java Forum why would I presume I needed to specify it as Java?
Offline aldacron

Medals: 9
Exp: 16 years

Java games rock!

« Reply #5 - Posted 2006-02-03 11:30:22 »

RPG design is language agnostic. Design is done at a high level. Any components you design can then be implemented in any language. So any RPG design tutorials you find can be implemented in Java no matter waht language was used in the tutorial. If you can't yet do that, then perhaps you should be looking for Java tutorials instead.
Offline kylix999

« Reply #6 - Posted 2006-02-03 13:02:52 »

if you could better specify what would you like to make we could help you. Programming a RPG game it is a hard work: renderer, sound, scripting, adtional tools for map making, also making story, graphics etc, it is a huge work you should go to gamedev.net forum and tutorial section and check what can be done. Our forum will be happy to help you in making such game by answering your questions about implementing jogl,  joal, beanshell etc, but generally creating rpg as a content it is an individual task of designer and it is very hard to find in net some tutorials  about that.
Offline barkera0

Senior Newbie

« Reply #7 - Posted 2006-02-03 23:47:50 »

Okay, well I know how to design an RPG i have done pletny of work with Gamemaker so I have no problems in desinging one, I would just like some helpful examples or tuts so I can understand the sort of stuff I will have to do to program one in Java.
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #8 - Posted 2006-02-04 05:57:20 »

Do you have any Java game programming experience at all?

if not see the standard, may times repeated, advice for newbie game programmers...

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Offline barkera0

Senior Newbie

« Reply #9 - Posted 2006-02-04 07:47:01 »

Do you have any Java game programming experience at all?

if not see the standard, may times repeated, advice for newbie game programmers...

This will prob make me sound like a noob but what is the advice? lol I guess I kinda am anyway lol.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline jbanes

JGO Coder

Projects: 1

"Java Games? Incredible! Mr. Incredible, that is!"

« Reply #10 - Posted 2006-02-04 08:49:02 »

This will prob make me sound like a noob but what is the advice? lol I guess I kinda am anyway lol.

Step 1. Learn how to program. The Java Tutorials can partly help with that. (See http://java.sun.com/docs)
Step 2. Learn how to read the JavaDocs. If you think something is impossible, you're not looking hard enough.
Step 3. Learn everything there is to know about your computer. Learn how the monitor signal is generated. Learn what PCM data is. Learn how to translate 3D coordinates into 2D projections. Learn what the difference is between Parallel and Orthogonal projection. Read lots of papers and tutorials. Ancillary topics like compression, ray tracing, networking, etc. are all Good To Know(TM). The more you know, the more impressive you can make your games.
Step 4. Pick up a fat book on computer gaming. Tricks of the Game Programming Gurus was always my favorite, but you'd have to get it used. A good book on gaming will help you harness what you learned in Step 3 by teaching you how game programmers have applied it in the past.
Step 5. Work for game company and make mucho dinero.

Somewhere around Step 3 you can start programming games, but you'll have to start small. Don't expect to write Quake on your first night out. Think Tron or Space Invaders. Between steps 3 and 5, the info you want should just hit you like a ton of bricks. By step 5 you should be hitting the 4K competition like you own the place. Smiley

And there you go. Standard advice for newless cluebies. Does it apply to you? That's for you to decide...

Java Game Console Project
Last Journal Entry: 12/17/04
Offline barkera0

Senior Newbie

« Reply #11 - Posted 2006-02-04 21:16:13 »

Step 1. Learn how to program. The Java Tutorials can partly help with that. (See http://java.sun.com/docs)
Step 2. Learn how to read the JavaDocs. If you think something is impossible, you're not looking hard enough.
Step 3. Learn everything there is to know about your computer. Learn how the monitor signal is generated. Learn what PCM data is. Learn how to translate 3D coordinates into 2D projections. Learn what the difference is between Parallel and Orthogonal projection. Read lots of papers and tutorials. Ancillary topics like compression, ray tracing, networking, etc. are all Good To Know(TM). The more you know, the more impressive you can make your games.
Step 4. Pick up a fat book on computer gaming. Tricks of the Game Programming Gurus was always my favorite, but you'd have to get it used. A good book on gaming will help you harness what you learned in Step 3 by teaching you how game programmers have applied it in the past.
Step 5. Work for game company and make mucho dinero.

Somewhere around Step 3 you can start programming games, but you'll have to start small. Don't expect to write Quake on your first night out. Think Tron or Space Invaders. Between steps 3 and 5, the info you want should just hit you like a ton of bricks. By step 5 you should be hitting the 4K competition like you own the place. Smiley

And there you go. Standard advice for newless cluebies. Does it apply to you? That's for you to decide...

Well I I can program and read JavaDocs so steps 1 and 2 aren't a problem, I prob don't know a whole lot about my PC, I don't own a Java gaming book and obviously I don't work for a game company or earn much cash Wink Can anyone recommend any good books?
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #12 - Posted 2006-02-05 00:13:59 »

Well I woudl have put it slightly differntly.

(1) Pick a **SIMPLE** game task to begin learnign with.  It should be single player, with simple mechanics and graphics.  A classic game like "PacMan" or "Asteroids" is always a good mfirst choice,

(2) Learn the basics of how a game is written, starting with what a game-loop is.  There are many tutorials around for this, evena  few in Java.  (I think endolf might have some stuff at www.cokeandcode,com, but I forget.)

(3) Ask lots of questions, also google a lot.  Its amazing what you cna find with a google and people are likely to be annoeyd if you ask something TOO obvious without hving tried a google first.

(4) When you get that single player game working, youa re ready to take the step to a multi-player game.  This cna be either a one-computer multiple players game or a LAN game dependign on how comfortable you already feel with networking.

(5) Once you've done that, you are reay to start thinkign about (and learnign all the gotcha's of) internet mulitplayer games, assuming thats where you ultimately want to go.

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CopyableCougar4 (24 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (34 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (30 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (28 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (18 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (27 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (65 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (41 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32

BurntPizza (33 views)
2014-08-08 02:01:56

Norakomi (42 views)
2014-08-06 19:49:38
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org