Games in Android Showcase (110)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (547)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  3D game engine with JOGL  (Read 1591 times)
Offline NiChE

Junior Newbie

« Posted 2006-01-31 01:47:42 »

Hello.

I'm currently triying to develop a 3D game engine using JOGL.

We need to design all the classes and methos for this engine.

I'd like you give me some suggestions on how to get started on this (what should and shouldn't do).

Thanks in advance.
Offline hvor2

Beyond mind, there is an awareness...

« Reply #1 - Posted 2006-01-31 08:43:44 »

Well, I don't know how much knowledge do you have (maybe more then I Cheesy), but my suggestion will be developing of Camera class first (and FPS movement if you are interested in it) which you can test then on some simple terrain. You can soon think on optimisations, like displaying only visible polys (frustum culling - connected with your Camera class). Then ask yourself do you want 3d engine for mostly outdoors or indoors. You will need to handle collisions. BPS trees or octrees are known methods for collisions and one is better then another in indoors/outdoors (im not sure which is for wich). When you have at least partially optimised engine, start to add 3d models in it.
And then is gameplay, it *should* take the most time, but you will see how much energy will you have after all that you build before  Wink

Offline thiagosc

Senior Newbie

« Reply #2 - Posted 2006-01-31 18:00:45 »

If you don't have experience developing games read a couple of books on the subject. I'd recommend Java Killer Game Programming and Practical Java Game Development. Probably the people here know other ones.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline NiChE

Junior Newbie

« Reply #3 - Posted 2006-02-01 00:22:44 »

Thanks for the advices, but... what about game interaction with different devices (mouse, keyboard gamepads, joysticks, etc.)? Huh

What about make the Library modular to keep extending it (for instance, support for physics libraries or loading scene files).

By the way, there are some books about JOGL like "Learning Java Bindings For OpenGL (JOGL)" by Gene Davis, but I find the content more to novice programmers and like nothing about the JOGL API  Cry.

Another issue that we have encountered (specifically to new and/or novice members of the group) is that there are little info on the Internet about creating APIs/Libraries using JOGL or any other JAVA implementation.

The following resources are available to us right now:

• Computer Graphics with OpenGL (3rd Edition)
  • Real-Time Rendering (2nd Edition)
  • OpenGL SuperBible (3rd Edition) -
  • OpenGL(R) Programming Guide : The Official Guide to Learning OpenGL(R), Version 2
  • Computer Graphics Using Open GL (2nd Edition)
  • An Introduction to Ray tracing (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Computer Graphics)
  • Fundamentals of Computer Graphics, Second Ed.
  • Advanced Graphics Programming Using OpenGL (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Computer Graphics)
  • Digital Design of Nature : Computer Generated Plants and Organics
  • Physically Based Rendering : From Theory to Implementation (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Interactive 3D Technology)
  • GPU Gems: Programming Techniques, Tips, and Tricks for Real-Time Graphics
  • Algorithms for Image Processing and Computer Vision
  • Machine Vision Algorithms in Java: Techniques and Implementation
  • Image Processing: Analysis and Machine Vision
  • Fundamentals of Digital Image Processing (Prentice Hall Information and System Sciences Series)
  • Game Programming Gems (Game Programming Gems Series)
  • Game Programming Gems 2 (Game Programming Gems Series)
  • Game Programming Gems 4(Game Programming Gems Series)
  • Game Programming Gems 5 (Game Programming Gems Series)
  • Computational Geometry: Algorithms and Applications
  • Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice in C

We also have a an "IBM Intellistation M Pro" (http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/intellistation/pro/index.html) with an ATI  FireGL V7100 graphics card and an Apple Cinema Display 30' screen.

Finally, our institution granted access to the following publications: IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications and IEEE Trans. on Visualization in Computer Graphics.

Currently, there are 4 researchers associated to the project (mid-level expertise) and 5 undergrad students.  We have about 18 months or so from now to create most of the engine, including any functional demo (although we all know that the real value would be on the code).

I'm open to more suggestions (specially the technical ones).

Offline NiChE

Junior Newbie

« Reply #4 - Posted 2006-02-01 00:33:58 »

Also, what about performance benchmarks for this engine?

Thanks.
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

atombrot (25 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (24 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (23 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (13 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (20 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (58 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (38 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32

BurntPizza (30 views)
2014-08-08 02:01:56

Norakomi (37 views)
2014-08-06 19:49:38

BurntPizza (67 views)
2014-08-03 02:57:17
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org