Games in Android Showcase (132)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (600)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  jogl demos not cooperating  (Read 2592 times)
Offline michael

Senior Newbie

« Posted 2006-01-08 06:31:28 »

howdy everyone,

i'm new to java, but an old c++/opengl veteran... an aquaintance (java junkie) pointed me in the direction of jogl... but i'm developing on linux, which he isn't always a lot of help with not being a linux guy.

so basicly i've successfully run a 'hellow world' app... but i'm having issues with the jogl demos... Gears for instance:

michael@<machine>:/usr/java/jogl/demos/applets$ java GearsApplet
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: GearsApplet (wrong name: demos/applets/GearsApplet)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)
        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:268)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:319)

CLASS_PATH environment variable is:

CLASS_PATH=.;/usr/java/jdk/lib;/usr/java/jdk/include;/usr/java/jogl

jdk is a symlink to the current java jdk installation... and the jogl jar and jni is in jogl. i unjared all of the jars for the hell of it, though i figure that isn't entirely necesarry.

so what's the diagnosis doc?

sincerely,

michael
Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2006-01-08 17:03:23 »

The GearsApplet is a special case and isn't run in that manner. Don't worry about it for now.

Your CLASSPATH needs to contain something like

/usr/java/jogl/jogl.jar:/usr/java/jogl/jogl-demos.jar

(and the other jogl-demos jars if you are running the more advanced demos). It does not need to contain any JDK directories.

Your LD_LIBRARY_PATH needs to contain /usr/java/jogl assuming that directory contains libjogl.so and libjogl_awt.so.

At that point "java demos.gears.Gears" etc. shoudl work. This is also assuming your JDK is 1.4.x or anove ("java -version"). If not you should install the Linux binaries for Sun's JDK 1.4.2, 1.5.0_06 or even the early access Mustang bits from http://mustang.dev.java.net if you want to be on the bleeding edge.
Offline michael

Senior Newbie

« Reply #2 - Posted 2006-01-08 21:07:48 »

i will try some of this stuff asap...

but in the meantime just to try to clear some stuff up:

is  CLASS_PATH equivalent to CLASSPATH?

the jdk directory in my printout is just a custom symlink of mine to the latest jdk version (currently 1.5.? i believe)

is LD_LIBRARY_PATH an environment variable? (assuming now, yes) ...i have only seen this with ld.library.path type syntax, so i've been assuming this was some global system variable set internally inside java code. (is it just me or is there precious little java documentation for linux out there?)

so when you run "java demos.gears.Gears" you are searching down/up through the CLASS_PATH subtrees? (i'm totally new to java periord -- just jumping straight into opengl cause its something i'm familiar with)

anyhow, will be getting right on this stuff. thanks for the support!

sincerely,

michael
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline michael

Senior Newbie

« Reply #3 - Posted 2006-01-08 21:32:59 »

no luck so far e_e

here is some printouts... but just to get something out of the way... i ran the GearsApplet before because all of the other demos were not working and appeared to be compound type .class files cause they appeared to be broken up in chunks with $1 type notation... GearsApplet was not though.

anyhow, now i'm getting:

michael@<machine>:~$ java demos.gears.Gears -verbose
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: demos/gears/Gears

with this environment:

JOGL_CLASS_PATH=/usr/java/jogl/jogl.jar;usr/java/jogl/jogl-demos.jar
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/java/jogl
CLASS_PATH=.;/usr/java/jdk/lib;/usr/java/jdk/include;$JOGL_CLASS_PATH
CLASSPATH=$CLASS_PATH

and just for the record:

michael@<machine>:~$ java -version
java version "1.5.0_06"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

i was having pretty much the same sort of issues on an amd64 machine... but cause the java packages were so much smaller with the 64bit versions i figured they were unstable or feature baren. so i switched over to a 32bit machine... so far the only difference is the 'hello world' app worked, whereas it did not with the 64bit go. also couldn't get java working in browsers with 64bit but could with 32bit.

sincerely,

michael
Offline mabraham

Junior Devvie

« Reply #4 - Posted 2006-01-08 22:08:35 »

Java cannot find the class you specified.

For starters, you are using the wrong separator character, use colon instead of semicolon!

You also need 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/java/jogl' so that the loader can find and map JOGL native libraries for your system.  Under Windows you would use the PATH variable instead.

Don't bother setting your CLASSPATH (note: not CLASS_PATH) variable, but invoke the Gears demo as follows:
java -classpath /usr/java/jogl/jogl.jar:/usr/java/jogl/jogl-demos.jar demos.gears.Gears

Hope this helps,
Matt.

PS: This is off-topic but in the file name of a .class file, '$' separates the name of an inner class from the fully qualified name of its enclosing class.  '$n' (n > 0) denotes an anonymous inner class, a concept which doesn't exist in C++.
Offline michael

Senior Newbie

« Reply #5 - Posted 2006-01-08 22:53:21 »

Don't bother setting your CLASSPATH (note: not CLASS_PATH) variable, but invoke the Gears demo as follows:
java -classpath /usr/java/jogl/jogl.jar:/usr/java/jogl/jogl-demos.jar demos.gears.Gears

alot to type but i got this (with a copy/past job -- had to export the DISPLAY variable damnit, though it doesn't seem to like it)

michael@<machine>:~$ java -classpath /usr/java/jogl/jogl.jar:/usr/java/jogl/jogl-demos.jar demos.gears.Gears
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect toX11 window server using 'localhost:0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
        at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
        at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.access$000(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:53)
        at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment$1.run(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:142)
        at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:131)
        at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:164)
        at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:68)
        at java.awt.Window.init(Window.java:270)
        at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:318)
        at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:419)
        at demos.gears.Gears.main(Gears.java:18)

i need to get this working, period... and i don't want to have to key all of this business in the command line to try something out. plan to be using netbeans later after everything is go. but i must admit i'm scratching my head as to how all of this is deployed from a browser perspective. seems like the environment variables would have to be setup unless all browsers use their own closed environment, which would seem wasteful.

sincerely,

michael

PS: a lot of linux centrix tutorials use CLASS_PATH and this is the first time i've ever noticed (with help) that a semicolon is the wrong multi delimiter with linux environment variables (colon is a super weird choice -- and they might both work)

PPS: oh for the record i'm a quad head display setup... wreaks havoc when apps want the DISPLAY variable exported... but on my other machine at the least i always get it in the primary display. i remember setting up the local display in a config file once... but i don't think that solution is any good past the primary display.

Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #6 - Posted 2006-01-09 00:30:53 »

Your DISPLAY should probably be set to ":0.0", not "localhost:0.0".

Deployment via Java Web Start hides all of these issues from the end user. Have you tried launching the demos from the JOGL demos web page? You'll need to set up javaws as the helper for the application/x-java-jnlp-file MIME type in your browser if it isn't already, but that's the only setup necessary for deployment. Setting up a machine for development is necessarily more involved. The JOGL User's Guide linked from the JOGL web page is an attempt at documenting some of the necessary setup.
Offline michael

Senior Newbie

« Reply #7 - Posted 2006-01-09 00:54:11 »

i will try... but i don't understand why all of this should be so trying.

localhost:0.0 should also be valid... i tried :0.0 first and it seemed to do worse. adding 'localhost' caused a pause and output that seemed slightly more favorable.

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect toX11 window server using ':0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.

same thing actually...

no idea what is going on here?

oh i think maybe cause i'm logged into X as root and requesting to instantiate a window as another user logged into a console i don't have the privilege to use the display... and that is why i the DISPLAY variable is not available in the first place... of course the trouble is i can't find an easy way to automaticly setup the root environment variables from a console in X. this is really my fault for being lazy and not setting up a proper security environment, but this is a personal machine and originally never even had internet access.

anyhow, with display privileges i'm still getting this:

<machine>:/home/michael# java -classpath /usr/java/jogl/jogl.jar:/usr/java/jogl/jogl-demos.jar demos.gears.Gears
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no jogl in java.library.path
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1682)
        at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:822)
        at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:992)
        at com.sun.opengl.impl.NativeLibLoader$1.run(NativeLibLoader.java:65)
        at com.sun.opengl.impl.NativeLibLoader.loadCore(NativeLibLoader.java:63)
        at com.sun.opengl.impl.x11.X11GLDrawableFactory.<clinit>(X11GLDrawableFactory.java:60)
        at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:164)
        at javax.media.opengl.GLDrawableFactory.getFactory(GLDrawableFactory.java:111)
        at javax.media.opengl.GLCanvas.<init>(GLCanvas.java:110)
        at javax.media.opengl.GLCanvas.<init>(GLCanvas.java:82)
        at javax.media.opengl.GLCanvas.<init>(GLCanvas.java:75)
        at demos.gears.Gears.main(Gears.java:19)

...at least its something new!

i will try running the demos from the deployment page while waiting for ideas.

i'm sorry, but it seems like someone should write a tutorial for all of this stuff. maybe it is in commercial books or textbooks... but i haven't been able to much at all out with google.
Offline michael

Senior Newbie

« Reply #8 - Posted 2006-01-09 00:58:47 »

this went through without a hitch for me:

https://jogl-demos.dev.java.net/applettest.html

EDIT: excpt if i scroll the page thickish black horizontal line artifacts startup with refresh.... scrolling a little more can makes them go away sometime and not come back till scrolling again... i'm just being nitpicky but if someone knows why that might be happening i'd like to know (using newish proprietary nvidia drivers)

EDIT: the other demos are on .jnlp pages... i think that looks like 'java net launch page' ...but linux firefox interperets the links as downloads. is this correct or is there something i can do to avoid this?

PS: sorry if i'm being a bit needy at this point... i came in here really at the end of my rope... but i'm not even bothering to put a lot of these newer questions into google before asking. i figure this is what forums are for... but if this is a bother, please let me know. i'm not in a huge rush to get this project rolling... but i would prefer to do it with minimal heart ache and down time.
Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #9 - Posted 2006-01-09 02:29:50 »

java -Djava.library.path=/usr/java/jogl -classpath  /usr/java/jogl/jogl.jar:/usr/java/jogl/jogl-demos.jar demos.gears.Gears

assuming again libjogl.so and libjogl_awt.so are in /usr/java/jogl/ . I prefer to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and CLASSPATH environment variables in my .cshrc (corresponding to the java.library.path and classpath settings, respectively) to save typing.

Regarding JNLP files, add the javaws executable from /usr/java/jdk/bin/javaws or /usr/java/jdk/jre/bin/javaws (not sure exactly where it is) as the helper application for the application/x-java-jnlp-file MIME type in Firefox. The setting can be changed somewhere in Preferences under Downloads or Helper Applications.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline michael

Senior Newbie

« Reply #10 - Posted 2006-01-09 03:30:14 »

that one hit the spot!

so we know there is no techincal issues...

care to help me setup the linux environment so i can easilly run stuff from the command line... and if someone doesn't mind could you maybe give me a hint as far as environment is setup with say netbeans (haven't really gotten into it)

so far i had been using the other .profile and .bash_profile for initializing the environment. i thought .bashrc might be off limits... but i see now that it actually does the trick (non login)

i should be able to get this working...

also wouldn't have guessed java.library.path could be predefined... is that a preprocessor definition with java? or something else? not accaustomed to seeing dots or even really lowercase letters in predefines. is java.library.path setup the same way from within the app?

#define java.library.path

for instance?

i imagine i still have a lot to learn as far as how java differs from c++. anyone know of a good free resource for learning java from the perspective of a c++ programmer? i'm really just using java for some minor internet based stuff where porting cannot be an issue. i would like to ease into this as easily as possible.

in any case, thanks everyone?

i think i can take it from here. but if you aren't tapped out yet, any and all advice would be both welcome and gratuitously appreciated.

sincerely,

michael
Offline michael

Senior Newbie

« Reply #11 - Posted 2006-01-09 04:15:45 »

so this works:

java -Djava.library.path=/usr/java/jogl -classpath  /usr/java/jogl/jogl.jar:/usr/java/jogl/jogl-demos.jar demos.gears.Gears

but with these variables in my environment:

CLASSPATH=.:/usr/java/jdk/lib:/usr/java/jdk/include:/usr/java/jogl/jogl.jar:usr/java/jogl/jogl-demos.jar

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/java/jogl

<machine>:~# java demos.gears.Gears

gives me:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: demos/gears/Gears

and just for the record... taking:

.:/usr/java/jdk/lib:/usr/java/jdk/include

out of the path doesn't make a difference

any ideas?

sincerely,

michael
Offline michael

Senior Newbie

« Reply #12 - Posted 2006-01-09 04:48:52 »

found my major error!!!

CLASSPATH=.:/usr/java/jdk/lib:/usr/java/jdk/include:/usr/java/jogl/jogl.jar:usr/java/jogl/jogl-demos.jar

notice the missing slash at the front of the final path... i read through that path so many times before finally noticing.

thanks everyone... i think i probably have more questions, but i will do my best to track down solutions first.

i think its best to retire this thread as a success story.

i still haven't figured out any obvious way to satisfy firefox on .jnlp via the available drop down menus... though i figure there is probably a back door through the configuration directory. i don't intend to use jnlp myself... the embedded viewer i fine for my needs, though jnlp might be an option if the embedded viewer has artifacts. i would like to make this as easy to get going as possible for clients to access.

never the less...

CASE CLOSED!!!

thanks everyone.

sincerely,

michael
Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #13 - Posted 2006-01-09 04:56:29 »

Glad to hear things are working. To reiterate, you do not need any entries in your CLASSPATH pointing into the JDK and I would strongly recommend you remove them.

I'd suggest you start learning Java with the Java tutorial.

Usually the JDK installer figures out how to hook up both the Java plug-in (for applets) as well as Java Web Start (for applications) into your web browser. I don't have Firefox installed on the machine I'm on but in Mozilla you would go to Edit, Preferences, Helper Applications, New Type, enter "application/x-java-jnlp-file" as the MIME type, add "jnlp" as the extension, and point the helper executable to e.g. /usr/java/jdk/bin/javaws.
Offline michael

Senior Newbie

« Reply #14 - Posted 2006-01-09 22:54:22 »

Glad to hear things are working. To reiterate, you do not need any entries in your CLASSPATH pointing into the JDK and I would strongly recommend you remove them.

i will, i just saw that suggested somewhere and thought it might be useful for development for some reason the way C has standard libraries generally somewhere like that.

i will look at it... i just don't want to end up having to pick through a bunch of c++ type stuff looking for inconsistencies between java and c specifications.

Usually the JDK installer figures out how to hook up both the Java plug-in (for applets) as well as Java Web Start (for applications) into your web browser. I don't have Firefox installed on the machine I'm on but in Mozilla you would go to Edit, Preferences, Helper Applications, New Type, enter "application/x-java-jnlp-file" as the MIME type, add "jnlp" as the extension, and point the helper executable to e.g. /usr/java/jdk/bin/javaws.

firefox doesn't appear to be too popular with linux the way it is with windows. i will look at mozilla... i just wish i could find a linux browser with session support other than konqueror (which has its own share of issues) ...firefox is more stripped down than mozilla, and with linux at least this option does not appear to be their though there is something that looks like mime handling, but you can't get at it manually in any way. i think i will just hope this resolves itself with future releases... this all appears to be fairly new tech. i'm not hung up at all over this minutia at this point.

thanks again anyhow... my apologies if i distracted anyone from pressing business.

Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #15 - Posted 2006-01-09 23:55:41 »

i will look at it... i just don't want to end up having to pick through a bunch of c++ type stuff looking for inconsistencies between java and c specifications.

I'm not 100% sure it's the right starting point for you, but keep in mind that Java and C/C++ are very different languages despite their syntactic similarities. Java is much higher-level and more heavily object-oriented and you will probably tend to concentrate more on organizing your class hierarchies more than worrying about how every line of code will be optimized by the compiler, which is my own tendency when writing C or C++. Once you get a feel for how Java's class libraries are organized (and again keep in mind that there are multiple ways of doing many tasks, such as java.io vs. java.nio, AWT vs. Swing) you'll be better positioned to understand how to tune your Java code for performance. Other people on these boards (and in particular on other forums) might have better suggestions about starting points for learning Java.

firefox doesn't appear to be too popular with linux the way it is with windows. i will look at mozilla... i just wish i could find a linux browser with session support other than konqueror (which has its own share of issues) ...firefox is more stripped down than mozilla, and with linux at least this option does not appear to be their though there is something that looks like mime handling, but you can't get at it manually in any way.

Looking at it again you're right, it is very confusing because you can't manually add helper applications like you can in Mozilla. You need to go to Edit, Preferences, Downloads and see if there is any action associated with JNLP files. If so, delete it and start over. The next JNLP file you click will give you the option of finding a helper application. Select e.g. /usr/java/jdk/jre/bin/javaws and choose "Use this every time" for the action.
Offline michael

Senior Newbie

« Reply #16 - Posted 2006-01-10 04:04:34 »

Looking at it again you're right, it is very confusing because you can't manually add helper applications like you can in Mozilla. You need to go to Edit, Preferences, Downloads and see if there is any action associated with JNLP files. If so, delete it and start over. The next JNLP file you click will give you the option of finding a helper application. Select e.g. /usr/java/jdk/jre/bin/javaws and choose "Use this every time" for the action.

ok, i can see how that would work. i would've never thought to do that.
Offline michael

Senior Newbie

« Reply #17 - Posted 2006-01-10 04:13:32 »

anyone care to sum up what 'mustang' is and why i should care in so many words or less?

just don't put yourself out anything like i would to check for myself though.
Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #18 - Posted 2006-01-10 04:26:02 »

Mustang is the current development release of the JDK. See http://mustang.dev.java.net/

The advantage of experimenting with this release is there is still the possibility of making moderate changes to it especially if you find something broken. However it is late in the release cycle so larger scale changes are being deferred until Java SE 7.
Offline michael

Senior Newbie

« Reply #19 - Posted 2006-01-10 05:32:24 »

ah ok... why the need for the enigmatic code word???

will the codeword change for SE7 just for the hell of it? or does it just stay mustang?
Offline michael

Senior Newbie

« Reply #20 - Posted 2006-01-10 23:57:42 »

today i tried to get this stuff working the same way on a 64bit machine, and i got this output:

<machine>:/home/michael# java demos.gears.Gears
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/media/opengl/GLEventListener
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)
        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:268)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:319)

looks a little different... is there some reason why this might happen with 64bit? i can't seem to get anything to work with 64bit java. should this be expected?
Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #21 - Posted 2006-01-11 03:47:36 »

Double-check all of the settings and make sure they match those on the 32-bit machine. Additionally, we don't currently ship the native libraries for Linux/AMD64 or other 64-bit architectures, so if you are trying to run with a 64-bit JDK then you'll currently have to build those yourself. As far as I know, the 32-bit Sun JDK runs on all 64-bit OSs (Linux/Solaris, AMD64/SPARCv9), in which case if you correctly replicate your setup from the 32-bit machine and have 32-bit versions of the drivers, native libraries, etc. then everything should work. The error above is caused by a failure to set CLASSPATH properly, not due to a problem with the native code.

Offline michael

Senior Newbie

« Reply #22 - Posted 2006-01-11 21:34:09 »

Double-check all of the settings and make sure they match those on the 32-bit machine. Additionally, we don't currently ship the native libraries for Linux/AMD64 or other 64-bit architectures, so if you are trying to run with a 64-bit JDK then you'll currently have to build those yourself. As far as I know, the 32-bit Sun JDK runs on all 64-bit OSs (Linux/Solaris, AMD64/SPARCv9), in which case if you correctly replicate your setup from the 32-bit machine and have 32-bit versions of the drivers, native libraries, etc. then everything should work. The error above is caused by a failure to set CLASSPATH properly, not due to a problem with the native code.

man i feel like an idiot (am an idiot -- take your pick) ...for some reason i can never remember that 32bit apps don't work with 64bit linux (haven't figured out emul) ...i will try recompiling if i get a chance. i don't know why i orignally thought the linux natives would work with 64bit (most likely i didn't think) ...i'm too accustomed to installing stuff off a distro disc with linux. i read somewhere later in here that you had posted a 64bit build for someone, so i was now operating under the assumption that i had originally downloaded that. also before in my defense i wasn't thinking in terms of build environments not knowing for sure how java bindings worked. i really have to take things slower. here lately i'm bouncing around and spinning in circles dealing with stuff from every direction... for a person who is accustomed to single minded coding sun up to sun down, its something i can't get used to and i'm just hoping will pass. just to clear things up though, maybe you could put a dead link on the front page to linux64 natives or call the standard linux natives linux32 for those of us who can't get our act together (though maybe that isn't standard practice) ... still for linux 64bit is pretty standard these days and it isn't so flexible like windows as far as i know.

Offline michael

Senior Newbie

« Reply #23 - Posted 2006-01-21 22:52:22 »

recently i tried a very simple expiriment to copy the  code suggested:

https://jogl-demos.dev.java.net/applettest.html

into my own html document as such:

<html>
<head><title></title></head>
<body>

<applet code="com.sun.opengl.util.JOGLAppletLauncher"
     width=600
     height=400
     codebase="http://download.java.net/media/jogl/builds/archive/jsr-231-webstart-current"
     archive="jogl.jar,jogl-demos.jar">
  <param name="subapplet.classname" VALUE="demos.applets.GearsApplet">
  <param name="subapplet.displayname" VALUE="JOGL Gears Applet">
  <param name="progressbar" value="true">
  <param name="cache_archive" VALUE="jogl.jar,jogl-demos.jar">
  <param name="cache_archive_ex" VALUE="jogl.jar;preload,jogl-demos.jar;preload">
</applet>

</body>
</html>

the loading screen popped up, but after finished loading there was nothing but a little red X in the upper left corner of the applet.

just for the record i tried sticking jogl.jar and jogl-demos.jar into the save directory as the document with no change.

what am i missing here... the applet works for my browser from the jogl demo page.

sincerely,

michael

Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #24 - Posted 2006-01-22 00:05:00 »

There was some renaming done recently in the JOGL workspace and the applet HTML code and the JSR-231 beta 2 binaries aren't in sync. For now, change com.sun.opengl.util.JOGLAppletLauncher to com.sun.opengl.utils.JOGLAppletLauncher. The forthcoming beta 3 will correct this inconsistency.
Offline michael

Senior Newbie

« Reply #25 - Posted 2006-01-22 06:25:56 »

so which then is more current technicly speaking? that is, 'utils' or 'util' Huh

michael

PS: just to be nitpicky on linux doublewide displays... if an app is started off the primary display it hangs... but if you start in the primary display then move it into the extension display it continues to function. just saying a stupid hack could probably allow people to have jogl applets running on either display simultaneously. that is two connected displays on the same card... might work as well for disconnected displays on the same card. just saying people with a 'horizontal span' type setup aren't accustomed to opengl not functioning across displays. in windows the display is registered as a single display... with X i'm pretty sure its a single screen (versus display/monitor) ...anyhow, seems like this would be easy to fix, and well worth the effort.
Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #26 - Posted 2006-01-22 16:47:24 »

so which then is more current technicly speaking? that is, 'utils' or 'util' Huh

util.

PS: just to be nitpicky on linux doublewide displays... if an app is started off the primary display it hangs... but if you start in the primary display then move it into the extension display it continues to function. just saying a stupid hack could probably allow people to have jogl applets running on either display simultaneously. that is two connected displays on the same card... might work as well for disconnected displays on the same card. just saying people with a 'horizontal span' type setup aren't accustomed to opengl not functioning across displays. in windows the display is registered as a single display... with X i'm pretty sure its a single screen (versus display/monitor) ...anyhow, seems like this would be easy to fix, and well worth the effort.

Multimonitor support is supposed to be working completely at this point. If you are seeing issues with it please file a bug with all of the relevant information including machine type, OS version, JDK version, exact model of the graphics cards involved, exact driver versions involved, and exactly how the application is being started including DISPLAY setting for both the working and non-working configuration. If the application is simple (e.g., Gears) all the better.
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

rwatson462 (29 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (20 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (40 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (75 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (37 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (50 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (47 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (113 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (100 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (30 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org