Games in Android Showcase (109)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (536)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  ignore  |  Print  
  Xtreme Space War - Online multiplayer space shooter!  (Read 26733 times)
Offline Aramaz

Java Games Rock!

« Reply #30 - Posted 2006-02-01 12:16:28 »

I will add Mac and linux versions soon, when I get around to it.

I tried doing a mac version before... but must have gotten something wrong, or my friends graphics card wasn't good enough. It's been tested on linux before and worked.

If you care to experiment a little you might get a mac version running by taking the windows version and switching the lwjgl binaries for mac binaries. I am not sure it will work though, I have no mac to test on.

Play XSW: www.xsw.se
Offline JoC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #31 - Posted 2006-02-01 16:05:55 »

No luck when i did a fast try.

java -jar xsw.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: raz/XSWNotifier/Notifier (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:539)
        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:123)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:251)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:55)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:194)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:187)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:289)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:274)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:235)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:302)
Offline Malohkan

while (true) System.out.println("WOO!!!!");

« Reply #32 - Posted 2006-02-01 19:14:34 »

I tried it on my Windows box, picked a ship and a name, and it started "Connecting to the master server" but I got tired of waiting after what seemed about like a minute and it still hadn't changed, so I hit Esc and Q and then smacked on my keyboard and nothing happened so I force killed the game.  Poo!

Admin and Game Developer at
GameLizard.com
Play Rimscape!    |    Play Conquer!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Aramaz

Java Games Rock!

« Reply #33 - Posted 2006-02-01 20:55:53 »

JoC, you were in a little later were you not? Maybe you were trying to run it with java 1.4, that won't work.

Malohkan, very weird, I have implemented it to timeout after 5 sec if not able to connect to the master server. Maybe a firewall issue? In the previous version you could specify port in the bat file... but now I have removed the bat files, and it just picks an arbitrary port. Will add support for selecting port again soon.

I tried messing with predicting movement on the client in this version, I got it wrong somehow and ships other than your own are jumping around alot. Will fix this soon.

Offline JoC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #34 - Posted 2006-02-02 07:21:35 »

I tried it on my pc at home yes, but my connection was crap yesterday so it lagged bad. Seemed fun thought, but very hard. I died right away when i spawned beside someone.
Offline Aramaz

Java Games Rock!

« Reply #35 - Posted 2006-02-02 14:37:57 »

0.17a is now available! It corrects an issue with jumpiness of other player ships. (should do)

Please try this out to see if other players' ships move smoother.

Adjusted a few ship settings, but 0.17 will still work.

A patch that will upgrade 0.17 to 0.17a also exists.

Joc, it can seem hard in the beginning, but it's pretty quick to get the hang of. How hard it is will depend alot on how experienced your opponents are meet. Some have practised alot, and are getting very good at xsw Wink

The missiles takes alot of practise to use right, very easy to kill yourself with... but they are very effective.

Offline Aramaz

Java Games Rock!

« Reply #36 - Posted 2006-02-03 04:19:52 »

0.17b is up. It corrects a bug introduced in 0.17a that made the shields be displayed in the wrong color sometimes. Not a really neccessary patch, but didn't want a buggy version up. Download this if you want to play xsw often and are bothered by the wrong colors of the shields...

Now I will be pretty busy for a few weeks, so it will take awhile until the next major version change arrives.

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #37 - Posted 2006-02-03 15:41:02 »

Just tried 0.17b on a Mac, without first replacing any LWJGL libraries... The Play XSW button did nothing.. not even an exception.. are you trapping exceptions and not reporting them to stderr or something like that?

Offline Aramaz

Java Games Rock!

« Reply #38 - Posted 2006-02-03 18:42:18 »

well, actually I am not trapping anything, probably should. I run the game in it's own process:

process p = Runtime.getRuntime().exec("java -cp bin;xsw.jar;libraries/gagetimer/timer.jar;libraries/lwjgl/lwjgl.jar;libraries/lwjgl/lwjgl_util.jar; -Djava.library.path=libraries/lwjgl -XX:+UseParallelGC raz.XSWClient.Client");

is what I use... I should report errors of course. Will add this later.

Try running this, then errors should be sent to stderr:

java -cp bin;xsw.jar;libraries/gagetimer/timer.jar;libraries/lwjgl/lwjgl.jar;libraries/lwjgl/lwjgl_util.jar; -Djava.library.path=libraries/lwjgl -XX:+UseParallelGC raz.XSWClient.Client

did you try running it with replacing the binaries?

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #39 - Posted 2006-02-04 00:49:57 »

I dropped in LWJGL 0.99 and it works perfectly on Mac!  Woot!  Sweet game btw... though I had no opponents Sad

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Aramaz

Java Games Rock!

« Reply #40 - Posted 2006-02-04 04:30:07 »

Cool! That is great news!

I hope you get to play with a few opponents soon, that's when the game really shines Wink.

We usually play some good games around 21-22 GMT +1 time. But this varies. Best thing is to leave the notifier/launcher running for awhile... But depending on ping rate it might not be the best experience playing on my server...

Offline Aramaz

Java Games Rock!

« Reply #41 - Posted 2006-02-10 13:36:10 »

0.17c is up. It fixes some issues regarding to ship positions. Sometimes these could get very wrong in 0.17b (especially on high ping). There is still some work to do, but it should be alot better.

Now a Linux and a Mac version is also available. These have not been tested, if anyone cares to try to see if they work, it would be appreceiated.

edit:

Link for convenience: http://hem.bredband.net/rashog/eDownload.htm

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #42 - Posted 2006-02-10 14:35:16 »

Now a Linux and a Mac version is also available. These have not been tested, if anyone cares to try to see if they work, it would be appreceiated.

Mac version acts the same as 0.17b ... Brings up the notifier window but clicking Play XSW does nothing.  There is no output in the console to see if it is throwing an exception.

However, using the command line I did get it to run the client.

When you call runtime.exec() with the params shown in your message above, do you leave the path separators as you have written them? or do you use colons ':' to separate paths and forward slashes '/' for path components?  For linux and Mac you need to use the proper File.separator and File.pathSeparator characters.   File.pathSeparator on Mac is ':' not the semi-colon ';' that you show above.

I run the client with this:

java -cp bin:xsw.jar:libraries/gagetimer/timer.jar:libraries/lwjgl/lwjgl.jar:libraries/lwjgl/lwjgl_util.jar -Djava.library.path=libraries/lwjgl -XX:+UseParallelGC raz.XSWClient.Client

Offline Aramaz

Java Games Rock!

« Reply #43 - Posted 2006-02-10 15:24:11 »

Ah, thank you for the help. That must be the problem...

Why isn't there a standard for these things... Wink

Edit:

Ok, now it's fixed. Hopefully works now Smiley. If you want to try again it's just to download the patch.

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #44 - Posted 2006-02-10 17:08:00 »

Working now!  Just had my first battle with some dudes... I was doing fairly well, then it seemed to kick me out..  I tried to reconnect but it just bumped me back to the "Play Game" screen.

The next Step for Mac is to package this as an Application Bundle.  You can download the Mac zip for Ultratron or something to get an idea of how this is done.  There are also some articles on java.net about making Mac App bundles.  It's just a special directory structure with some xml file to describe the package.. and a Java launcher stub that is used as the executable.  You can easily make the bundle on a Windows box if you have a copy of the Java launcher stub for Mac and you have a Mac .icns file for the bundle.   There are some more subtle things to do with having write permission for the folders inside the bundle and that sort of thing.. but I would just get a bundle that launches the app working first.

Offline Aramaz

Java Games Rock!

« Reply #45 - Posted 2006-02-10 17:55:06 »

Thanx for testing and for the help with the mac stuff. It will probably take awhile till I get around to making such an application bundle, there are so many things I want to do...

Strange that it kicked you out. There is a timeout set on the server, but it occurs after 10 seconds of no communication so it should be a rare thing to get timed out. Does it say anything useful in the client.log file? (errors and stuff are logged there).

If your connection broke somehow, but the server still thinks you are logged in, then I think it will kick you out if you try to connect before it has timed out. Then a solution is to exit xsw (the game, not the launcher) and start again, this way you will be assigned a new port and the server will think you are a new player.

I noticed you had pretty high ping, around 200, xsw hasn't been tested so much on high ping connections so there might be some issues to resolve. Most people that play sofar are from sweden with ping below 100.

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #46 - Posted 2006-02-10 18:01:43 »

I've attached client.log - Other than an OpenAL exception near the end I don't know if anything else is relevant.

Offline Aramaz

Java Games Rock!

« Reply #47 - Posted 2006-02-10 21:22:06 »

Didn't make me much wiser. I had forgotten to log a few stack traces to the logfile, they were just printed to screen (which isn't captured by the launcher).

I have now changed every stacktrace to print to the logfile instead, so I'll just have to wait till someone  encounters the problem again...

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #48 - Posted 2006-02-10 22:04:29 »

Give me a 128x128 32-bit image (e.g. PNG) for the application bundle icon and I will try to make a Mac app bundle for you.  Then you would just have to stick the updated jars in to it and re-zip.  If you take me up on the offer just send the image to scott dot palmer at 2connected dot org.

Offline Malohkan

while (true) System.out.println("WOO!!!!");

« Reply #49 - Posted 2006-02-14 17:21:35 »

I just tried 0.17c, never played the game before.  It loaded up the little dialogue box and after a few seconds I saw there was 1 server running.  I hit Play XSW, nothing happened.  Clicked it again, nothing.  Clicked a few more times, nothing.  I clicked Create Server and the text changed to "Kill Server" but still nothing happened.  So I hit Kill Server, then clicked Create Map, nothing happened.  Then I clicked Play XSW a few more times, nothing.  Poo Tongue

Admin and Game Developer at
GameLizard.com
Play Rimscape!    |    Play Conquer!
Offline Aramaz

Java Games Rock!

« Reply #50 - Posted 2006-02-14 21:11:17 »

Poo is no good Wink

I downloaded 0.17c myself and tried it, worked good. It's very bad of me to just discard the error trace I know, most people seem to be able to run it fine, once you get into the game any error is written to the client.log file, but if it crashes when pushing the buttons there is no error log. Hitting run server doesn't show anything apart from servers online incrementing after a few seconds, I will add some new window for the server soon.

Anyways if you have the time you could try starting the game from a command window with this:
java -cp bin;xsw.jar;libraries/gagetimer/timer.jar;libraries/lwjgl/lwjgl.jar;libraries/lwjgl/lwjgl_util.jar; -Djava.library.path=libraries/lwjgl -XX:+UseParallelGC raz.XSWClient.Client

Then it should write any error on startup in the prompt window. This is the same command run when pressing play xsw.

You were able to start the game once before? But it hung itself during connecting to Master then? Are you using the same computer now? (then you should at least get to the same place...). What os are you running on?

There were one other person who had the game hang on connecting to Master which we have not resolved. If it says the number of players and servers online I find it very weird that it should hang when connecting to Master, since it uses the same kind of communication when getting the info about any players and servers that are online.

Anyways, I will implement better error handling/reporting soon, wont have time to do it this week though, but early next week I should have time.

Offline Gannin

Senior Newbie

« Reply #51 - Posted 2006-03-03 04:01:49 »

This reminds me a lot of Continuum, except with better graphics, more potential, and it actually works on Linux.  Good job Smiley.  Now if only more people would play it.
Offline Aramaz

Java Games Rock!

« Reply #52 - Posted 2006-09-15 00:31:25 »

Finally after months of waiting a new version of xsw is up! Smiley Go to: www.xsw.se to download.

Development has gone slow because of me finishing school and starting a new job, having our 2nd child etc etc. Now things have settled down and I will start pushing development of xsw more again.

Some of the highlights of the new version are:

Music and new sound effects! Graphics settings, a new ship, some new maps, lots of work done to improve for those with higher ping. More people should now be able to run a server without problem. Many bug fixes (probably introduced some more also because of the big work done on networking...). Improvements to the mapeditor, etc etc.

Only a Windows version is up at the moment, will add other versions later. The download is now 16 mb, the large size is mostly due to the music, in the future I will place the music separate.

Gannin> Yes I've played continuum abit, stumbled on it awhile after starting development of xsw. Glad you like xsw, hope you will give this new version a try... Smiley

Hope to see you in space...
-The Emperor

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #53 - Posted 2006-09-15 04:25:47 »

Need a Linux and Mac version.  I know it works on Mac, it is just a matter of packaging.

Offline Aramaz

Java Games Rock!

« Reply #54 - Posted 2006-09-15 13:03:39 »

Now there is also a Linux and Mac version up. These I have not tested as I don't have access to computers with those OS's so there might be bugs.

enjoy!   Cool

Offline thijs

Lava games rock!

« Reply #55 - Posted 2006-09-15 19:38:55 »

Nice to hear Marcel's music made it in Smiley

The game is a brilliant piece of work, runs like a charm here (until azureus started and my ping went over 1500ms Wink). The only options that I miss are a level & music tune selector and a music/sfx on/off option.

Keep up the good work!

Thijs

<a href="http://www.dzzd.net">3DzzD!</a>
<a href="http://www.arcazoid.com">Arcazoid!</a>
Offline Aramaz

Java Games Rock!

« Reply #56 - Posted 2006-09-16 10:29:39 »

Made a small update to fix some bugs. Specifically the shockwave was fixed and the bandwidth usage was lowered abit.

get the fix at: www.xsw.se

Offline Aramaz

Java Games Rock!

« Reply #57 - Posted 2006-09-25 07:14:00 »

Another small update. Version 0.18b is up. Fixed collisions between different shots. Missiles could not be shot down sometimes, and when two missiles collided only one would explode... this has been fixed.

Added a music volume slider to the settings panel.

Offline SluX

« Reply #58 - Posted 2006-09-25 15:04:59 »

Err...web start plz? Smiley

"Intelligence is the most beautiful gift and the greatest temptation which one life can receive from the gods."Me Cheesy
Play strategic football
Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

Medals: 19
Projects: 1

I'm gonna wring your pants!

« Reply #59 - Posted 2006-09-25 15:23:07 »

wow, I missed the post of this game :/
pretty cool stuff!
Got beat to pulp by someone, but never the less cool!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CogWheelz (14 views)
2014-08-01 22:53:16

CogWheelz (14 views)
2014-08-01 22:51:43

CopyableCougar4 (15 views)
2014-08-01 19:37:19

CogWheelz (19 views)
2014-07-30 21:08:39

Riven (27 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (16 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (14 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (35 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (13 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (44 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36
Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 18:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 18:19:50

List of Learning Resources
by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 13:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org