Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Bungie Bill  (Read 4220 times)
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Posted 2005-12-29 01:49:13 »

It's a work in progress...  sadly I don't think I will have the time to finish it to the degree I wanted.  The sound needs some severe tuning and there are still bugs in the game play.

Use the mouse to throw your bungie-grappel.
When "hooked", click again to "let go".
Use left & right arrow keys to walk and influence your "swing"
Visit platforms with gold treasure to increase your score.
ESCape exits

Play Bungie Bill

Offline jbanes

JGO Coder

Projects: 1

"Java Games? Incredible! Mr. Incredible, that is!"

« Reply #1 - Posted 2005-12-29 06:27:10 »

1. The "Play Again?" Dialog doesn't work right. It stays in the middle of your view asking you if you want to play again until you hit "no". If I were to venture a guess, I'd say you're forgetting to recenter the player.

2. The player "floats" in midair whenever he fires his grapple.

Q: Are you using MIDI or Procedural Sound for this? It sounds very neat. Smiley

Java Game Console Project
Last Journal Entry: 12/17/04
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #2 - Posted 2005-12-29 06:52:36 »

1.  a recent bug.. it's been a while since I've had the patience to let it go that far Smiley

2.  A known issue...  but it helps to avoid another bug, where you immediately land on the platform you were on to begin with and so the grappel goes away. Smiley  It's that other bug that I really need to fix.

A: procedural... it's a bit random now.  I'm trying to get something that sounds sort of like an elastic band twang.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline jbanes

JGO Coder

"Java Games? Incredible! Mr. Incredible, that is!"

« Reply #3 - Posted 2005-12-29 07:06:33 »

A: procedural... it's a bit random now.  I'm trying to get something that sounds sort of like an elastic band twang.

That's very cool. I don't suppose you'd mind sharing the precise method you're using?

Java Game Console Project
Last Journal Entry: 12/17/04
Offline Malohkan

while (true) System.out.println("WOO!!!!");

« Reply #4 - Posted 2005-12-29 07:51:26 »

The sound is cool, but I couldn't grapple anything to save my life.  I re-read the forum posts in hopes that I was just missing something important, but I can't get it to work.  I played for about 3 minutes doing nothing but trying to grapple and couldn't do it Tongue  is it bugged?

Admin and Game Developer at
GameLizard.com
Play Rimscape!    |    Play Conquer!
Offline f.l.x

Projects: 3

there is no place like 127.0.0.1

« Reply #5 - Posted 2005-12-29 10:29:03 »

Awesome phisics for the rope, very... elastic Roll Eyes i love it

when you shoot out of the screen, to the left or right, the rope carryes you away

great game, really impressive

Litterarum radices amaras, fructus dulces
http://flx.proyectoanonimo.com
figth spam!
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 74
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #6 - Posted 2005-12-29 14:28:20 »

great idea, and i have to agree with f.I.x great physics with the rope, however i've had some issues with getting the rope to work sometimes no rope comes out but the sound plays and sometimes a rope comes out a bit and stop not reaching mouse. but other than that very nice idea and sound is brilliant.
Offline asc

Senior Newbie

« Reply #7 - Posted 2005-12-29 16:16:16 »

Good idea, and the elastic rope is very nicely done.

I had the same problem of not being able to throw the grapple until I tried falling off a platform before throwing it. But then I discovered another bug - you don't need to hit anything to gain height. You stop falling when you throw it, and then it pulls you up even if it doesn't hit anything.
Offline Malohkan

while (true) System.out.println("WOO!!!!");

« Reply #8 - Posted 2005-12-29 17:06:41 »

Ooooo now that I've tried hopping off before a throw I can grapple!  I don't know if that was your intention but it works Smiley  Neat game!  I lost this last game after waiting too long after a bad angled throw.  I swung up, then swung down and let go, launching myself off the bottom of the screen Wink  Whoops!  Very cool game.

Admin and Game Developer at
GameLizard.com
Play Rimscape!    |    Play Conquer!
Offline f.l.x

Projects: 3

there is no place like 127.0.0.1

« Reply #9 - Posted 2005-12-29 17:21:07 »

if you can spare a couple of bytes, could you make the grapel to loose on mouse released instead on clicking? it seems somehow more instintive

Litterarum radices amaras, fructus dulces
http://flx.proyectoanonimo.com
figth spam!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #10 - Posted 2005-12-29 18:26:49 »

Thanks for the feedback!

The problem with throwing the grappel while standing on the platform is the first major bug I need to fix.  You will notice that I fixed the "play again" issue, and while I was at it I tweaked things a bit so Bill will fall a bit more while throwing the grappel.. that just made the issue I mentioned above worse though.  When you collide with the platform you are originally standing on the grappel goes away.

Ah.. there.. just did  a few more tweaks and I think I have that fixed...

Try again!

It is NOT a bug that the grappel can pull you up even when it doesn't "hook"... the momentum of the grappel hook can pull you. (it's really heavy Smiley)

I will share the code for the sound at the end of the contest.  It's just a little frequency modulation.

Offline asc

Senior Newbie

« Reply #11 - Posted 2005-12-30 11:31:52 »

The bug is indeed fixed. No problems with grappling from platforms. It plays well.  Smiley

It is NOT a bug that the grappel can pull you up even when it doesn't "hook"... the momentum of the grappel hook can pull you. (it's really heavy Smiley)

Ah, but in that case, you should be propelled violently backwards when you throw it in midair.
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #12 - Posted 2005-12-30 15:42:24 »

Shhhhhh!  Wink

Offline Vorax

System shutting down in 5..4..3...

« Reply #13 - Posted 2005-12-30 17:55:03 »

I love this!!  I am laughing my ass off here!   I love when you miss and get hauled off by your grapple!  It's hillarious!  I can't see what I am typing i have been laughing so hard tears are comming from my eyes!

It's alot of fun, pretty hard though. This gets my vote for fun factor alone Cheesy

Offline DonaldEKnuth

« Reply #14 - Posted 2006-01-02 00:01:41 »

The most innovative game this year, i'm impressed!

My 4k 2006 Entry: Sokoban4k
Offline arne

money is the worst drug- we should not let it rule

« Reply #15 - Posted 2006-01-03 20:20:28 »

How much points do you guys get?
I stopped above 2000 points.
It gets a bit boring on the long run. Ok the speed increases, but maybe it could increase faster...
Another thing: does the speed increase with the points you make or with the time you play it?

:: JOODE :: Xith3d :: OdeJava ::
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #16 - Posted 2006-01-04 22:26:14 »

Speed increases with time.

And I agree, it does get boring.  The gameplay isn't quite where I want it.  I.e. when you fire your bungie while in mid-air I wanted you to keep moving along your original trajectory, but (I think) the way the momentum is working as the new bungie un-reels it is stopping the player, making it too easy.

Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Medals: 14
Projects: 19

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #17 - Posted 2006-01-05 09:33:24 »

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the rope is way, WAY too springy. It doesn't really feel like a rope at all.. more like a series of lead weights connected by insane-o-springs.

But I like the graphics. Small, cute and clear. Smiley

Play Minecraft!
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #18 - Posted 2006-01-05 14:41:23 »

The "rope" IS an insane-o-spring bungie grappel Smiley  Actually the spring constant and ideal length of the springs is changed to make the bungie pull harder once the grappel attaches to a platform.  The idea being to fling Bill towards the platform.

It could use some fine tuning, I'm sure. Smiley

Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #19 - Posted 2006-01-05 15:17:14 »

Instead of swinging around, you get whipped around.

Ah well.

Play Minecraft!
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #20 - Posted 2006-01-05 17:25:30 »

Something that looks like "real" swinging is much harder to code.  Because the "rope" is approximated as a sequence of linked springs, I found it too difficult to get natural swinging motion AND have something anywhere near stable.

I could play around with the numbers and improve things I'm sure, but it takes more time than I can spare to get it "right".  Heck I don't even have a decent screen shot or web page Sad

Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #21 - Posted 2006-01-06 15:50:25 »

If the rope springs can only compress, but not expand, you might get closer to rope physics. (If that's the goal)

Play Minecraft!
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #22 - Posted 2006-01-06 17:51:23 »

If the rope springs can only compress, but not expand, you might get closer to rope physics. (If that's the goal)

It's putting in any sort of "hard" constraint that creates the problem.  It then becomes a massive inverse kinematics problem, which I would love to know how to do, but I don't Smiley  (And I've looked for the info with Google.. but didn't find anything that spoke to my level.  It's been over ten years since I was doing any sort of advanced math in university.)

Offline jojoh

JGO Knight

Medals: 5
Projects: 7

games4j.com

« Reply #23 - Posted 2006-01-07 16:45:30 »

(And I've looked for the info with Google.. but didn't find anything that spoke to my level.  It's been over ten years since I was doing any sort of advanced math in university.)

It's funny how all the time, money and effort spent at university never really gets used until a Java 4K compo   Cheesy    I recognize it all too well...  Tongue

Great game, but I also think that the speed could be a bit faster/increase faster. There is a danger you get bored before it gets challenging... I think insane-o-spring bungie grappel is what it should be rather than rope, even though it might be a bit on the over insano side, but that's better than too little insan-o Smiley

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

pw (37 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (38 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (26 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (28 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (59 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (50 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (42 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (44 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (60 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (57 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org