Games in Showcase (577)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (498)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Xith distribution policy + Some other great ideas to be realized..  (Read 1083 times)
Offline Amos Wenger

Everything's possible, but not everything's fun...

« Posted 2005-12-17 10:46:11 »

Oh, another fact about Xith's version policy :
  - I think we could do distributions that are referred with 1.0-like numbers instead of dates(03282005)-thingy. It would be more clear
  - If we would have a distribution plan (ex : a release every 6 months) the new features added would appear more clearly and the progress would be more visible.
  - If we were making news when a new version is released, the people would be thinking that Xith' core isn't dead
  - I don't like the TextureLoader and TextureLoader2 thing.. think about the class name that should be easily understable : maybe we could rename both to TextureLoader, and put them in two different packages, indicating clearly that ones use com.sun.* classes and another java.* classes.
  - Maybe we should do a wish-list for next versions ?
  - Maybe we should make a database from projects that use Xith ? And then each project would have, say, a list of "requirements" that they need for the progress of their project, and we could assign people to these tasks ?

They are just ideas, but if they are approved I may find time to maintain some of these (news, wish-list, database ?).

"Once you start working on something, don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it. People who work sincerely are the happiest"
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

Fire at will

« Reply #1 - Posted 2005-12-17 15:15:07 »

- I think we could do distributions that are referred with 1.0-like numbers instead of dates(03282005)-thingy. It would be more clear

OK sounds fine.  What should we start at?  0.7 perhaps?  I don't think we're quite at 1.0 yet.

- If we would have a distribution plan (ex : a release every 6 months) the new features added would appear more clearly and the progress would be more visible.

Sure.

- If we were making news when a new version is released, the people would be thinking that Xith' core isn't dead

Yes that is a good idea.  Can you (or someone else) help out with the PR stuff?

- I don't like the TextureLoader and TextureLoader2 thing.. think about the class name that should be easily understable : maybe we could rename both to TextureLoader, and put them in two different packages, indicating clearly that ones use com.sun.* classes and another java.* classes.

TexutureLoader is deprecated, people should move to TextureLoader2 (including myself).  Eventually TextureLoader will be removed - probably before 1.0

If you like, of course it is better if people are volunteering to actually implement the wishes Smiley

- Maybe we should make a database from projects that use Xith ? And then each project would have, say, a list of "requirements" that they need for the progress of their project, and we could assign people to these tasks ?

IssueZilla can be used for this I think - it is possible to link bugs and have them dependant on others, etc.  There is a "Feature Request" option.  E.g. the logging feature request.  Again, it's obviously best when people are committed to creating features.

The Xith.org wiki can also be used for such things.  Any registered user can edit most pages, if you want to edit the restricted ones (like the front page official documentation list etc.) just email me and I can set the nessesary permissions.

For my part, I will promise to review and commit patches that are submitted via IssueZilla within 14 days, hopefully less (depending on complexity, of course if I am away it will be longer).  Just please follow whatever conventions are in place and don't make any formatting changes (as it makes doing a diff and compare quite hard).

Cheers,

Will.

Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #2 - Posted 2005-12-19 10:33:45 »

OK sounds fine.  What should we start at?  0.7 perhaps?  I don't think we're quite at 1.0 yet.

OK for 0.7
But I think we should do several things before releasing 0.7 :
  - Apply c_lilian optimizations patches
  - Move several packages (such as collision detection and sound system) to the Toolkit, because it's not part of the scenegraph.
  - Subdivide the toolkit into several .Jars, people don't need *everything* in the toolkit but "a collision system" or "a terrain generation method"
  - Integrate Arne picking method (that returns a Point3f + the shape picked and other infos) into the core. I've adapted it so it doesn't depend  on his game. I could provide you a patch.
  - Clean & add content to the Xith Getting Started Guide, and make the online version more pleasant.

TexutureLoader is deprecated, people should move to TextureLoader2 (including myself).  Eventually TextureLoader will be removed - probably before 1.0

Okay, maybe we could remove it for 0.7 and provide a separate Jar with an OldTextureLoader class.

If you like, of course it is better if people are volunteering to actually implement the wishes Smiley

Yes, indeed.

IssueZilla can be used for this I think - it is possible to link bugs and have them dependant on others, etc.  There is a "Feature Request" option.  E.g. the logging feature request.  Again, it's obviously best when people are committed to creating features.

The Xith.org wiki can also be used for such things.  Any registered user can edit most pages, if you want to edit the restricted ones (like the front page official documentation list etc.) just email me and I can set the nessesary permissions.

OK. I'll see what I can do for the Xith GSG (Getting Started Guide)

"Once you start working on something, don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it. People who work sincerely are the happiest"
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline c_lilian

Projects: 1

Java games will probably rock someday...

« Reply #3 - Posted 2005-12-19 11:28:58 »

The javadocs should also be improved...  every time I look at a new feature I need, I wonder how these things work ...

For example, the compile() method of BranchGroup is just here for java3d compatibility (empty), but used everywhere in the tutorials...

I still don't know if there are ways (or hints) to optimize the rendering (like the j3d capability bits) although its stated in the docs...

some parts seem to be broken (at first, I was considering using shadows in my game ...) but I have to spend a lot of time in forum/google searches to be sure if they work or not.

==> really bad for convincing new users to come and test/use Xith

So William... where can we put our improvements ideas ? in this post ? in the old sticky one ("Xith3D features"), in the wiki ? in the issue tracker ?

Lilian

Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 85
Projects: 25

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #4 - Posted 2005-12-19 12:39:01 »

Presumably the issue tracker is the only formal way of keeping these things Smiley

Kev

Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

Fire at will

« Reply #5 - Posted 2006-01-15 09:20:40 »

Yes, everyone should always submit Issues to the issue tracker.  Whenever I have time on my hands to improve Xith3D, that is the list I consult.

Will.

Offline Amos Wenger

« Reply #6 - Posted 2006-01-24 18:26:58 »

I think we should add a "Roadmap" page on the site with what I've said, and include also the SGS for 0.7.
We then will have a fairly complete system.

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (18 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (15 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (28 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (13 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (29 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (54 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (111 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (212 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (181 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (187 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:05:20
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org