Games in Android Showcase (132)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (600)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  Sun's GameServer tech...  (Read 11060 times)
Offline SluX

Junior Devvie

« Posted 2005-12-14 14:19:00 »

Does any1 know when it is due to arrive?
What are your expactations? Do u think that it will improve java game standing much?

"Intelligence is the most beautiful gift and the greatest temptation which one life can receive from the gods."Me Cheesy
Play strategic football
Offline GameDev101

Senior Newbie

« Reply #1 - Posted 2005-12-14 16:16:34 »

hmm... ive heard nothing about this... elaborate please??? lol
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #2 - Posted 2005-12-14 20:52:30 »

Unfortunately I am in "run silent run deep" mode at the moment at the orders of management.  I *hope* to be able to start blogging soon on it-- Im negotiating that with management right now.

I'll stick my toe out a bit over the cliff and say "expect something significant at GDC this year (March 2006) " but beyond that I can't say much right now Sad Sad Sad

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #3 - Posted 2005-12-15 01:00:45 »

Unfortunately I am in "run silent run deep" mode at the moment at the orders of management.
Hmm... so where have we heard that before... Oh wait - It's Jogl/Joal/JInput all over again! Vauge hintings at "don't waste your time" for about two years, lots of comments about amazing new technology which will solve all problems for you, followed by about a years worth of silence and eventually a bunch of unreliable, incomplete and rushed libraries!

I can hardly wait!  Roll Eyes

</troll>

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Exp: 12 years

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #4 - Posted 2005-12-15 02:56:31 »

Smiley  You expected "management" to learn from their mistakes... ?  You need to get some persepctive -->  http://www.dilbert.com/

Offline Bombadil

Senior Devvie

« Reply #5 - Posted 2005-12-15 12:02:36 »

Hmm... so where have we heard that before... Oh wait - It's Jogl/Joal/JInput all over again! Vauge hintings at "don't waste your time" for about two years, lots of comments about amazing new technology which will solve all problems for you, followed by about a years worth of silence and eventually a bunch of unreliable, incomplete and rushed libraries!

Well, Jeff is not in the management. :-)  Maybe he should. However then we'd loose a great tech guy. So better stay in the tech world.
I think Jeff (and Ken and the other few SUN guys here in the forum) do a great job. JOGL is matured now. I think it's very nice and the new JSR makes things even nicer. It's reliable, complete and evolved.
Oh, and what happens with Java3d is amazing, too.

Well, I always impress those Java devs who're not sure about performance topics with Jeff's and Steve's excellent book Java Platform Performance: Strategies and Tactics".
The good thing's many of these devs can use the performance topics discussed in the book, here in the forum (also with Jeff's nice FAQ(s)) for their non-game topics, too. See our friendly forum mate Mark for example.

Well, Java is great, really.
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 429
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #6 - Posted 2005-12-15 12:44:46 »

Cue bitter tirade from Blah^3.

I think I've been there, too Wink

Cas Smiley

Offline kevglass

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 211
Projects: 24
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #7 - Posted 2005-12-15 12:47:27 »

I think theres a significant difference this time. JOGL/JOAL/JInput were filling holes that were already adequately filled, just not by SUN (this isn't unusual if you look across SUNs history). However, with Sun Game Server (SGS) they're filling a very vacant hole in the Java gaming world - assuming of course its a MMOG server of some sort.

For interest Jeff hints a bit at how SGS compares to Multiverse in his recent blog entry (http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/gameguy?entry=multiverse_much_ado_about_even). I'd like to hear more if he's allowed but at worst we'll have to wait to GDC it seems.

Kev

Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #8 - Posted 2005-12-16 03:59:53 »

I'll let you gusy knwo if i get the clearance to blog some part of this project at least....

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

Offline Mr_Light

Senior Devvie

Medals: 1

shiny.

« Reply #9 - Posted 2005-12-16 04:36:20 »

can't wait!

It's harder to read code than to write it. - it's even harder to write readable code.

The gospel of brother Riven: "The guarantee that all bugs are in *your* code is worth gold." Amen brother a-m-e-n.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #10 - Posted 2005-12-19 18:46:59 »

Cue bitter tirade from Blah^3.

Nah, too busy making money at the moment Wink. We recently went over 10,000 publically visible paying players (you can check this from the game leaderboard - http://www.perplexcity.com/leaderboard/leaderboard.build?start=1 ) and now I'm concentrating on handling what happens when we go on general release in 2006.

I hear there have been some VC's sniffing around the GrexEngine technology recently, but I'm not directly involved with that any more. Lots of other exciting things happening at the moment, but can't say anything about them Tongue Tongue

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #11 - Posted 2005-12-20 03:19:44 »

...you can check this from the game leaderboard - http://www.perplexcity.com/leaderboard/leaderboard.build?start=1

So I look at that link and notice a few things.. nobody from my country (Canada) is on the first page Sad... and there are THREE different icons in the GENDER column!  Dare I ask?  Smiley

Offline Vorax

Senior Devvie

Projects: 1

System shutting down in 5..4..3...

« Reply #12 - Posted 2005-12-20 03:47:34 »

So I look at that link and notice a few things.. nobody from my country (Canada) is on the first page Sad... and there are THREE different icons in the GENDER column!  Dare I ask?  Smiley

Canadians have no time for <i>hoser</i> card games, there's dog sleds to be race'n - it's <i>aboot</i> time the rest of the world try seal blubber and dog race'n to, eh?

The third sex icon is obviously for ... um... completeness  Roll Eyes

PS: Before you Canadians get your ass's in a bind - Go get a double-double!

PPS: I am Canadian! Smiley

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #13 - Posted 2005-12-20 03:56:24 »

it's <i>aboot</i> time ..

I never understood that bit.. I mean sure the "eh?" and the beer makes sense.. but I have never heard anyone in Canada say "aboot".. in fact I have only heard that from Americans that think they are acting Canadian Smiley

Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 3
Exp: 14 years

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #14 - Posted 2005-12-20 04:01:32 »

Unfortunately I am in "run silent run deep" mode at the moment at the orders of management.

I can hardly wait!  Roll Eyes

</troll>

Well, not quite JOGL/JOAL/JInput...this is much bigger and is actually something that Sun is FUNDING.  So sorry if we can't disclose to you what we disclose to every other game developer that has signed an NDA Wink  March 2006 - GDC.  Look for it then (Booth 1510 - next to Nintendo).

In the meantime, read this: http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1418&Itemid=32

From the article:

Next Generation did some digging among a few of the larger players in the MMOG space and our sources at each developer/publisher has indicated that talks have happened with Sun. In one case, a source went so far as to say that the two companies are in "close contact".

-Chris

Offline Vorax

Senior Devvie

« Reply #15 - Posted 2005-12-20 04:09:36 »

Next Generation did some digging among a few of the larger players in the MMOG space and our sources at each developer/publisher has indicated that talks have happened with Sun. In one case, a source went so far as to say that the two companies are in "close contact".

-Chris

Hmmm - now your all just tormenting us!

Will there be a press release after the GDC?  When can we expect full disclosure on this software?  Better yet - when can we try it out? 

Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #16 - Posted 2005-12-20 04:21:45 »

-Chris

Hmmm - now your all just tormenting us!

Will there be a press release after the GDC?  When can we expect full disclosure on this software?  Better yet - when can we try it out? 

March 2006 - GDC Smiley

-Chris

Offline SluX

Junior Devvie

« Reply #17 - Posted 2005-12-20 09:57:07 »

hehe..my birthday is in March....this will be a really nice present Wink

I hope that it will be a major success.

"Intelligence is the most beautiful gift and the greatest temptation which one life can receive from the gods."Me Cheesy
Play strategic football
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #18 - Posted 2005-12-20 11:10:19 »

Not on general release in north america, yet. Be patient Wink.

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline the2bears

Senior Devvie

Projects: 2

Little Bear: Code Fu!

« Reply #19 - Posted 2005-12-21 06:33:01 »

I never understood that bit.. I mean sure the "eh?" and the beer makes sense.. but I have never heard anyone in Canada say "aboot".. in fact I have only heard that from Americans that think they are acting Canadian Smiley

Hmmm... you need to get out more Smiley  Seriously though, what I mean is I've been in the US for 5 years now and talking with friends and family back in Canada I really hear the "oot and aboot" thing.  Get teased a ton by colleagues myself so I must still have the "accent" as well.

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Offline Vorax

Senior Devvie

« Reply #20 - Posted 2005-12-21 13:52:32 »

Hmmm... you need to get out more Smiley  Seriously though, what I mean is I've been in the US for 5 years now and talking with friends and family back in Canada I really hear the "oot and aboot" thing.  Get teased a ton by colleagues myself so I must still have the "accent" as well.

Bill

I have to ask - what part of Canada are you from?  I have never heard any Canadian say "aboot" either.  West Coast thing maybe?  Newfoundland?

Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #21 - Posted 2005-12-22 02:30:44 »

Not all Canadians pronounce the "oot".  Just like all Southeners in the States don't say Y'All.  However, one of my good friends from Halifax is a definate "oot-er" Smiley

-Chris

Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #22 - Posted 2005-12-22 04:09:44 »

Not all Canadians pronounce the "oot".  Just like all Southeners in the States don't say Y'All.

Y'all is properly deep south.  Its often commmonly misued by northerners who think they are cute.

Properl y'all is the *singular* neuter personal pronoun.
The plaural neuter personal pronoun is "all y'all"

Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #23 - Posted 2005-12-25 06:21:07 »

Well, I've gone so far as to write a pretty fluffy white paper for Chris to use with game companies that aren't under NDA yet.  Maybe we can work on management to let us generally release that at least...

Offline richardGoulter

Senior Newbie

Java - n. 2nd only to Chocolate

« Reply #24 - Posted 2006-01-01 04:50:07 »

The third gender icon is obviously martian, but only a couple of martians can program java,
the rest wouldn't be able to program even a VB hello world if they used MSVB and their lives depended on it

What do i put here, i wonder... 218, 211, 207...
Offline aNt

Senior Devvie

AFK

« Reply #25 - Posted 2006-01-04 22:57:45 »

hand it over jeff- come on; i want to check your GLOs out...
Offline Daire Quinlan

Junior Devvie

« Reply #26 - Posted 2006-02-09 22:36:18 »

-Chris

Hmm. I was just about to post a question about the sun game server but luckily decided to do a search first ...
I have to say, the above quote doesn't fill me with confidence. What are the chances of being able to pick up this for free commercial use I wonder, if the 'larger players in the MMOG space' seem interested in it ? Seems like a great opportunity for sun to make a killing on licensing. The last thing I read about it seemed to indicate it was tied in to some hardware platform aswell ?

D.
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #27 - Posted 2006-02-10 01:13:33 »

This is a product and project Sun has invested a great dela of time and money in.

I can gaurantee you will not be able to use it free for commercial use.

That being said, we have some plans (these are plans not promises)  to make it very very low cost to free to develop with.  It is also *possible* that there might be something we could do to license people to deploy non-commercial projects.

But yes, if you are going to want to write a commercial game to make money on, expect to have to cut your tech providers in on the profits.  That is only fair.

Offline Daire Quinlan

Junior Devvie

« Reply #28 - Posted 2006-02-10 14:08:54 »

This is a product and project Sun has invested a great dela of time and money in.
But yes, if you are going to want to write a commercial game to make money on, expect to have to cut your tech providers in on the profits.  That is only fair.

I wasn't actually suggesting that there was anything -wrong- with Sun making money from a product they've invested in, no need to be so defensive  Smiley

Initially when reading about it though, I thought that was actually going to be the case, hence my disappointment !

Daire.
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #29 - Posted 2006-02-11 01:50:43 »

Well then Im sorry you are disappointed but no, this was never  in the cards.

We DO want to make it as accessible as possible to small developers so that they can get into the game (as opposed to today where it takes a 30 million dollar budget to do an MMO) but we are expecting to particpate in the rewards out the other end.

Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

rwatson462 (29 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (20 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (40 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (75 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (37 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (50 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (46 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (113 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (100 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (30 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org