Games in Android Showcase (110)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (547)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Unable to change display mode when using OpenGL based pipeline  (Read 1360 times)
Offline vync79

Senior Newbie

« Posted 2005-11-23 15:54:49 »

Hi,

I am developing a 2D based game using java 2D. I use the exclusive full-screen mode. When turining on the OpenGL base pipeline, I cannot change the display mode anymore: I am limited to the current display mode. I am running my software on Windows XP with jre 1.5.0_05. The DirectX based pipeline is working great but I would like to check whether I could get more with the OpenGL based pipeline and eventually try my game on Linux systems.

I read java 6.0 includes improvement concerning the OpenGL pipeline. I will give it a try, but if you have any idea how I may solve my issue with the jre1.5.0, that would help me a lot.

Thanks.

Vince.
Offline trembovetski

If only I knew what I'm talking about!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2005-11-23 22:54:20 »

There was a bunch of improvements in recent mustang (6.0) builds in fullscreen-related
code which should help the OpenGL pipeline. Give it a try..

Also,  support for true (non-emulated) fullscreen mode (complete with display mode changes) on
linux was implemented only in mustang.

Dmitri
Java2D Team
Offline vync79

Senior Newbie

« Reply #2 - Posted 2005-12-09 10:43:24 »

Java 6.0 is working great! I am now able to switch screen resolution when using OpenGL pipeline!
The only weird thing (which was already in java 5.0) is that the first time my images are displayed, the colors are displayed in gray... This turn back into the real color as soon as they are displayed the second time. Do you know if there is a way to have them displayed in the real color at the first time ?

In addition, using the sun.java2d.trace, I figured out the DirectX pipeline is used by default if I don't enable the OpenGL pipeline on XP. I don't have the color problems with the DirectX pipeline and performaces are similar so it is fine for me to use DirectX. My concern is this won't work if I try my game on Linux. However I have not tried yet. Maybe the color problem won't happend on Linux.

Anyway, you guys ar edoing a very nice job on Java! Please carry on! Java looks greater every day.

Regards.

Vincent.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline campbell

Java games rock!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2005-12-09 21:52:18 »

Java 6.0 is working great! I am now able to switch screen resolution when using OpenGL pipeline!
The only weird thing (which was already in java 5.0) is that the first time my images are displayed, the colors are displayed in gray... This turn back into the real color as soon as they are displayed the second time. Do you know if there is a way to have them displayed in the real color at the first time ?

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for the comments.  Are you using an ATI board by any chance?  There is a known driver bug where the red/blue channels are swapped in some cases, which may cause the gray issue you are seeing.  Fortunately, this has been fixed in their latest Catalyst driver release, so you can download it and see if it helps.

In any case, please tell me which board/driver version you are using, just for the record.

Thanks,
Chris
Offline vync79

Senior Newbie

« Reply #4 - Posted 2005-12-11 13:39:53 »

Hi Chris,

I am using an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 Series and my computer is a P4 HT 3.2GHz running Windows XP with 512 MB DDR.

I will try to update the catalyst driver. Hope this will solve this color issue. Thanks for the news!

Take care.

Vince.
Offline vync79

Senior Newbie

« Reply #5 - Posted 2005-12-11 21:54:52 »

Hi,

I updated to Catalyst 5.12 (actually the equivalnt Omega drivers). The color problems is gone but a new one appeared: when I exit my game, leaving the exclusive full screen mode generates an exeption.... and I have to kill manually the game to come back to my desktop. The problem is then I cannot come back to my original screen resolution until I restart my PC...

Here is the stack dump:
Exception during disposal:
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
   at java.awt.EventQueue.invokeAndWait(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Window.doDispose(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Window.dispose(Unknown Source)
   at kernel.Game.restoreScreen(Game.java:560)
   at kernel.Game.finishOff(Game.java:539)
   at kernel.Game.run(Game.java:303)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.InternalError: Could not set display mode
   at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsDevice.configDisplayMode(Native Method)
   at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsDevice.setDisplayMode(Unknown Source)
   at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsDevice.setFullScreenWindow(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Window$1DisposeAction.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Exception in thread "Thread-2" java.lang.InternalError: Could not set display mode
   at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsDevice.configDisplayMode(Native Method)
   at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsDevice.setDisplayMode(Unknown Source)
   at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsDevice.setFullScreenWindow(Unknown Source)
   at kernel.Game.restoreScreen(Game.java:561)
   at kernel.Game.finishOff(Game.java:539)
   at kernel.Game.run(Game.java:303)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I have been trying to install the real Catalyst to check if it was coming from Omega but Catalyst doesn't want to install. There is a pop-up telling me I should try to run th setup with standard VGA driver... I'll try this later...

If I don't open the OpenGL pipeline, everything goes right. The DirectX pipeline seems ok.

I am using the java 6.0 b63 nd my graphic card is an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 series.
The grapical driver I am using is Omega 2.6.87 (equivalent to Catalyst 5.12) for Win XP.

There seems to be some bad interaction between the OpenGL pipeline and this new Omega driver...

Hope anyone of you has a solution... so I can finally use the OpenGL pipeline.
Offline Linuxhippy

Medals: 1

Java games rock!

« Reply #6 - Posted 2005-12-11 22:42:10 »

There seems to be some bad interaction between the OpenGL pipeline and this new Omega driver...
Hope anyone of you has a solution... so I can finally use the OpenGL pipeline.

To be honest its my impression that the ATI drivers are seriously broken when it comes down to OpenGL.
This may or may not be some of their bugs but we had unbelievable many problems with what they produces on the OpenGL side, it simply has not high priority for them.

Shaders, OpenGL-Apps that do not update the entire screen all the time, .....

lg Clemens
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

atombrot (24 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (23 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (23 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (13 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (20 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (58 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (38 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32

BurntPizza (30 views)
2014-08-08 02:01:56

Norakomi (37 views)
2014-08-06 19:49:38

BurntPizza (67 views)
2014-08-03 02:57:17
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org