News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  MONSTRUMO !  (Read 14951 times)
Offline hvor2

Beyond mind, there is an awareness...

« Posted 2005-11-02 15:16:30 »

After weeks of polishing textures, models and game logic and..., I decided to put my new project in public. Open for suggestions and criticism.
http://hvor.madpage.com/monstrumo.htm
Soon I will upload the game at JGF so webstart will be supported. Unfortunatelly, for now you can just see screenshots, without sounds or music which gives a lot for right gaming impression.  Embarrassed

Offline Alan_W

JGO Knight

Medals: 8
Projects: 3

Java tames rock!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2005-11-02 18:46:56 »

I can see that loads of work has gone into those screenshots.  I'm looking forward to trying it.

Zombies & Pirates!.  Two essential elements Smiley

Alan

P.S. The arm-sholder attachment looks a touch odd on the first screenshot.

Time flies like a bird. Fruit flies like a banana.
Offline hvor2

« Reply #2 - Posted 2005-11-03 09:33:31 »

P.S. The arm-sholder attachment looks a touch odd on the first screenshot.
I agree. Majority of time was invested in level editing (in the last phase, of course) so bugs like this still wait to be solved...

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline hvor2

« Reply #3 - Posted 2005-11-04 17:14:52 »

Finally I did webstart support. Enjoy ( I hope  Smiley)
<a href="http://javagamesfactory.org/jnlp/Monstrumo/alpha.jnlp">PLAY MONSTRUMO!</a>

Offline c_lilian

Projects: 1

Java games will probably rock someday...

« Reply #4 - Posted 2005-11-04 17:32:01 »

blam !

no lwjgl in java.library.path

on Mac os X.3

Offline nva225

« Reply #5 - Posted 2005-11-06 01:04:38 »

Well I got it to work on my other computer, and it looked really good, environment was creepy, nice effects and everything. Only problem was.. it looked really good, and my other computer isn't really fast (I would have posted this earlier, but the Java forums suddenly went down).

Anyway, now I'm trying to load it on my better computer, and I'm getting this:

An error occurred while launching/running the application.

Title: MONSTRUMO!
Vendor: -o- hvor games -o-
Category: Launch File Error

The following required field is missing from the launch file: <jnlp>

Dunno why it's happening. And I just checked it again on my slower computer, it loads there... gonna try deleting some files.

Edit: Ahh can't figure it out. It just sits there "Checking for updates..." then throws me a "Unable to launch MONSTRUMO!" error. O_o
Offline jojoh

JGO Knight

Medals: 5
Projects: 7

games4j.com

« Reply #6 - Posted 2005-11-06 02:00:29 »

Screenshots looks promising!

I did however get:

An error occurred while launching/running the application.

Title: MONSTRUMO!
Vendor: -o- hvor games -o-
Category: Download Error

Found unsigned entry in resource: http://hvor.madpage.com/webstart/MON_images.jar
jws should really have some offline verification tool so that developers would get this warning right away. Guess most ppl got this error at one point or another  Tongue  You need to sign all jar-files if you want permissions.

Online kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 70
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #7 - Posted 2005-11-06 15:19:38 »

bah, no linux natives  Cry Cry Cry
Offline nva225

« Reply #8 - Posted 2005-11-07 05:23:16 »

So it's just a permissions thing? Bah, I never really understood signing.

But why does it work on my stupid Windows 98 computer and not the much-faster XP Professional one? Does the OS actually do something? (I tried different browsers, no luck)
Offline hvor2

« Reply #9 - Posted 2005-11-07 09:49:27 »

Hi all, Im back.
And I'm sorry to read all that problems you guys had. Permission issue was probably in early phase when I was testing my webstart support ( I remember that one version was unsigned... Undecided) Maybe javaws is reading an old cashed jars (which were unsigned at first) instead of fresh jars which are OK ?
Can I suggest then to run javaws.exe, and remuve monstrumo from cache. Then, during next click-to-run webstart will download fresh SIGNED jars...
Webstarting is new ground for me, too.
 And I have one question: I could provide native jars for non-windows platforms, but as I understand (right?) lwjgl_devil.jar module is only for Windows. And since I am using it, there isn't chance to get it work on, for example, linux?

EDIT: I added native libs for Mac OS and Linux. Hope it will work on those platforms... Can anyone please try it?  I added Monstrumo to JGF, too. <a href="http://javagamesfactory.org/jnlp/Monstrumo/alpha.jnlp">PLAY MONSTRUMO!</a>

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline MickeyB

my game will work, my game will work!

« Reply #10 - Posted 2005-11-07 18:50:03 »

wow, sweet.  Loved it, though mouse moved opposite of what I though it would do.  any, great job!

MickeyB

Current Project: http://www22.brinkster.com/mbowles/
Offline hvor2

« Reply #11 - Posted 2005-11-07 19:30:56 »

wow, sweet.  Loved it, though mouse moved opposite of what I though it would do.  any, great job!
Tnx. You know, there is an options menu at the beggining (first screen). There you can choose between inverted (default) or non-inverted mouse.

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #12 - Posted 2005-11-08 01:05:45 »

It's quite slow, isn't it? Albeit there is no fps counter (at least i couldn't find any) to tell exactly how fast it runs, it just feels slow. Too slow for a 3.2Ghz machine with a X800XT-PE graphics card IMHO. The collision detection can be annoying at times. It makes no sense to me to get stuck in dead enemies. How does it work? By shooting rays into the scene (it feels that way somehow...)? Also, it would be better to slide along the trees (or any other obstacle) instead of just getting stuck.

Offline hvor2

« Reply #13 - Posted 2005-11-08 20:22:22 »

It's quite slow, isn't it?
How slow? I could update version with FPS counter on screen. Meanwhile you can download FRAPS and check it out... I agree that optimisation is still an issue, especially with 3d tree models, when I render 30 of them each frame. For the future... (I am getting 30-40 FPS on Radeon9800Pro)
It makes no sense to me to get stuck in dead enemies. How does it work? By shooting rays into the scene (it feels that way somehow...)? Also, it would be better to slide along the trees (or any other obstacle) instead of just getting stuck.
I agree about dead enemies. It's a bug. Suggestion for sliding along trees is accepted, it's really more natural way to handle movement.

Online kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 70
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #14 - Posted 2005-11-08 22:28:14 »

just played the game on linux runs pretty good however i did run into a few small issues

firstly the console gives this error

javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Audio Device Unavailable
   at com.sun.media.sound.MixerSynth.implOpen(MixerSynth.java:154)
   at com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice.doOpen(AbstractMidiDevice.java:144)
   at com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice.openInternal(AbstractMidiDevice.java:134)
   at com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice.getReceiverReferenceCounting(AbstractMidiDevice.java:339)
   at javax.sound.midi.MidiSystem.getReceiver(MidiSystem.java:243)
   at javax.sound.midi.MidiSystem.getSequencer(MidiSystem.java:442)
   at javax.sound.midi.MidiSystem.getSequencer(MidiSystem.java:348)
   at mwproject.mwoods.core.SoundEngine.playMidiFrom(SoundEngine.java:436)
   at mwproject.mwoods.MWoods.loadSounds(MWoods.java:668)
   at mwproject.mwoods.MWoods.initObjects(MWoods.java:615)
   at mwproject.mwoods.MWoods.startGame(MWoods.java:119)
   at mwproject.mwoods.MWoods.main(MWoods.java:106)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Launcher.java:1098)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Launcher.java:1045)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.continueLaunch(Launcher.java:896)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleApplicationDesc(Launcher.java:468)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleLaunchFile(Launcher.java:218)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:165)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

secondly the window was a borderless window donno if this is intentional but usually a window is either just full screen or a window with a border.

i did have sound of like wind, birds and the axe

good work looks to be coming along nicely (love the lightning effects and enviroment sounds)
Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #15 - Posted 2005-11-09 00:31:20 »

How slow?
Slow is: 10-11fps (measured using fraps). That's on a P4HT 3.2Ghz, ATI X800XT-PE using the latest drivers under Java1.5/Windows XP. Vsync is disabled, so is AA. Anisotropic is set to 4x in the drivers. The game runs with normal view distance @ 1024*768.

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #16 - Posted 2005-11-09 03:36:50 »

EDIT: I added native libs for Mac OS and Linux. Hope it will work on those platforms... Can anyone please try it?  I added Monstrumo to JGF, too. <a href="http://javagamesfactory.org/jnlp/Monstrumo/alpha..jnlp">PLAY MONSTRUMO!</a>

You had two full-stops in that URL. URL should be:

a href="http://javagamesfactory.org/jnlp/Monstrumo/alpha.jnlp">PLAY MONSTRUMO!</a>

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #17 - Posted 2005-11-09 09:48:16 »

Tried to run it on a P4 2.4Ghz with i846G-whatever- integrated graphics. This graphics solution isn't exactly a power horse, but it can run Paradroidz at 40fps for example. Monstrumo runs at around 10 SECONDS per FRAME. Something seems to be wrong with your rendering code IMHO.

Offline hvor2

« Reply #18 - Posted 2005-11-09 10:11:22 »

secondly the window was a borderless window donno if this is intentional but usually a window is either just full screen or a window with a border.
tnx for feedback. Window is borderless intentionally. It felt better to me that way. Soon I will add fullscreen option in options menu, so there will be windowed and fullscreen mode.
As for exception. Hmmm. Seems that on linux there are problems with MIDI Audio Device. Currently I have no idea what's going on, but I will check it out
Quote from: blahblahblahh link=topic=11324.msg89906#msg89906 date=1131503810
You had two full-stops in that URL
Yes, I repaired that link. tnx.
Quote from: EgonOlsen link=topic=11324.msg89897#msg89897 date=1131492680
Slow is: 10-11fps (measured using fraps). That's on a P4HT 3.2Ghz, ATI X800XT-PE using the latest drivers under Java1.5/Windows XP. Vsync is disabled, so is AA. Anisotropic is set to 4x in the drivers. The game runs with normal view distance @ 1024*768.
Well, that's weird. I confess that there is much to do in order to raise performance (LOD for trees,grass, VBO for models, now everything is more or less rendered with display lists..) But THAT slow framerate is just weird. I have an laptop here at my job with 2.0 GHz processor and old, old Radeon 8500. And I am getting 15 FPS in average. More than yours   P4HT 3.2Ghz, ATI X800XT-PE? Weird... Huh

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #19 - Posted 2005-11-09 16:44:52 »

On my second machine (XP3200+, GF6800GT), it runs better at 25-30fps, albeit this machine is definitely slower (even if not much) than the P4 is.. Can try it at the weekend on another machine with an X800Pro if that helps.

Offline hvor2

« Reply #20 - Posted 2005-11-09 17:12:45 »

I repaired that bug to get stuck when walking over dead enemies . Also, I did some performance tune and gained 50% faster framerate (that means 25-26 on average  Kiss) at my machine (old laptop, Radeon 8500).
Uploaded new version
<a href="http://javagamesfactory.org/jnlp/Monstrumo/alpha.jnlp">to JGF </a>
and
<a href="http://hvor.madpage.com/webstart/monstrumo.jnlp">my pages </a>

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #21 - Posted 2005-11-09 17:41:15 »

Also, I did some performance tune and gained 50% faster framerate (that means 25-26 on average  Kiss) at my machine (old laptop, Radeon 8500).
Uploaded new version
That helped! Performance on the P4 mentioned above is now at 25-30fps.

Offline hvor2

« Reply #22 - Posted 2005-11-11 16:00:41 »

I did some changes that should raise the gameplay:
1) fullscreen - go to options, and select it (it is default option). Around 40% better FPS in fullscreen mode for me!
2) roll over effect in menus so that player knows when will something happen if he click the mouse button
3) increased movement speed. Now running and exploring the island is more dynamic, I think.
4) A little darker exterior, for better mood.
5) If someone is interested in little stats (fps, camera pos...), press F10 to see them.

Offline Vorax

Projects: 1

System shutting down in 5..4..3...

« Reply #23 - Posted 2005-11-12 02:19:18 »

It's definetly comming along -

It ran fine on my computer at work -

Dual processor P4 4.2 Ghz  SMP - 2GB RAM - ATI Radeon X850 XT  256MB RAM

Then again - Everything runs great on my office computer Smiley - gotta get me one of those for home Wink

Offline hvor2

« Reply #24 - Posted 2005-11-12 11:16:54 »

Dual processor... cccc.. some job you have. All they gave to ME is Laptop (1,4Ghz)  with Radeon 7500... Cry

EDIT: (Still, majority of Monstrumo code is done by that monster ...)

Offline hvor2

« Reply #25 - Posted 2005-11-13 20:10:10 »

Just some progress info. This weekend I concentrated on two aspects : performance and better visual experience.
I discovered that my think() class that I call every frame for each visible enemy could have been improved. So i've done that. On some places performance was 100% better than before !
Besides that I added some colorful bushes, more realistic looking palm trees and smoother pirate's animation.
Soon I will upload everything (sometime tomorrow) to new version.

These shots were taken in 1024*768 resolution on my AMD64 3000+, Radeon9800Pro at home. Framerate never dropped below 60 FPS, and sometimes it hit 100FPS (when there is less in your frustum). Good.

EDIT: Last edit today, (I hope). It's late and I am going to sleep. I really don't know why didn't add more sounds to the game earlier. I just recorded some hey's, steps, scary laughs ( Grin, don't laugh at me if they are not scary, I'm peaceful man). Gameplay is much better actually when you can HEAR you enemies patrolling around and when you KNOW that they noticed you!

EDIT: new version available  Cheesy: <a href="http://hvor.madpage.com/webstart/monstrumo.jnlp">play here </a>

Offline Usul

Senior Newbie

I hunt bugs

« Reply #26 - Posted 2005-11-14 18:57:49 »

very cool!  liking it Cool

It's times like this that I wish I'd listened to what my dad used to tell me.
Yeah? What was that?
I don't know. I never listened. 
- Dr. Venkman and Mr. Zeddemore
Offline arne

money is the worst drug- we should not let it rule

« Reply #27 - Posted 2005-11-14 21:35:33 »

the game starts, I also can set options, but when I want to start it loads and then I get an unknown error from my Java Webstar.

I'm running it from Linux

:: JOODE :: Xith3d :: OdeJava ::
Offline hvor2

« Reply #28 - Posted 2005-11-14 23:22:49 »

the game starts, I also can set options, but when I want to start it loads and then I get an unknown error from my Java Webstar.
I'm running it from Linux
I am sorry to hear that!  Until now I have thought that Monstrumo runs on Linux (kapta tried it and it works, all except midi which wasn't loaded properly...). What do you mean by an unknown error? Any stack trace?  And did you hear some music at the menu?

Offline hvor2

« Reply #29 - Posted 2005-11-14 23:50:08 »

I am thinking how to implement more dynamic fight with swords. Something that will move gameplay a little beyont hit - block - hit - block - hit style.... I could add an extra pirate attack so he will have 2 of them. Also, player will have two block types (egg from the left and right). So fight will be more chalenging: player needs to observe which attack is pirate performing and react accordingly (with one block or another) in order to stop it. Moreover, he will have to time his block properly.
Only thing I am not shure about is if that type of fight is too complex for FPS  (maybe I should leave it for RPG?)
 Any suggestions?

Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (75 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (68 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (80 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (65 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (81 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (105 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (165 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (261 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (210 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (220 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org