Games in Android Showcase (106)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (533)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  PNG images w/Alpha layer in a 2D game  (Read 3011 times)
Offline appel

JGO Wizard

Medals: 50
Projects: 4

I always win!

« Posted 2005-10-24 00:53:18 »

Hey,

I'm very new to game programming, and I am designing a my game graphically. I was thinking about using PNG images with Alpha channel support for my sprites, but I've been testing it and it seems very slow.

I'm using java.awt to render everything. What is the best way to get the optimal performance while using alpha layer in PNG images?

Check out the 4K competition @ www.java4k.com
Check out GAMADU (my own site) @ http://gamadu.com/
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

pixels! :x

« Reply #1 - Posted 2005-10-24 01:04:54 »

a) use only bitmasked images
b) use some switches to make it accelerated (doesnt work that nice or even everywhere... therefore I cant recommend that)
c) use some opengl binding (lwjgl or jogl)

If it must run sandboxed use a) otherwise c).

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline appel

JGO Wizard

I always win!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2005-10-24 01:17:20 »

It will be run using Java WebStart.

So lwjgl is very quick at processing PNG-sprites w/Alpha?

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #3 - Posted 2005-10-24 01:34:51 »

>It will be run using Java WebStart.

Needs to be signed then.

>So lwjgl is very quick at processing PNG-sprites w/Alpha?

Hm. Let me put it this way. Lwjgl (or opengl for that matter) is very fast at displaying texture data with alpha... about as fast as it can get actually. PNG is just one image format you could use. While png is in most cases a very good format it isnt really suited for this case.

PNG is a very advanced format. Its pretty complex... so writing your own loader isnt really an option. You can either load it through ImageIO (which is very slow) or with openil. The latter is faster, but still a bit slow compared to TGA, which is a very simple (usually) uncompressed format.

Now the thing is if you use webstart you need to put your stuff into jars anyways. That means it gets compressed either way and the interesting thing is that both (png and tga) are about the same size at this stage. The difference is that tga loads faster and that you dont need to use imageio or openil.

Btw you can batch convert pngs with alpha with imagemagick like this:
mogrify -format tga *.png

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline Vorax

Projects: 1

System shutting down in 5..4..3...

« Reply #4 - Posted 2005-10-24 01:40:28 »

I use PNG (with alpha) for many graphics in my game, as well as ImageIO to do the loading - I haven't seen any performance problems for loading.  Infact, my game loads pretty fast considering how much it's actually loading/processing.  Granted TGA would be faster, but I don't think the speed of loading a PNG is really much of a concern.

Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #5 - Posted 2005-10-24 02:24:36 »

The speed difference is *huge* whereas the file size difference is basically non existant.

Really. I mean it. On a 500mhz machine it takes more than 30 seconds to load a 512x512x6 skybox with imageio. With a custom tga loader it takes less than half a second (loading a 2048x2048 texture takes less than 2 seconds [from jar - 3 times faster from directory]). Loading tga needs almost no cpu at all.

Sure you could say that its almost the same speed on your hi-end 10ghz machine, but is that equal to the specs you're targetting? And why bother with png if you gain nothing? (With jpg you would at least get rid of some bytes.)

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #6 - Posted 2005-10-24 03:13:55 »

The speed difference is *huge* whereas the file size difference is basically non existant.

Really. I mean it. On a 500mhz machine it takes more than 30 seconds to load a 512x512x6 skybox with imageio. With a custom tga loader it takes less than half a second (loading a 2048x2048 texture takes less than 2 seconds [from jar - 3 times faster from directory]). Loading tga needs almost no cpu at all.

Sure you could say that its almost the same speed on your hi-end 10ghz machine, but is that equal to the specs you're targetting? And why bother with png if you gain nothing? (With jpg you would at least get rid of some bytes.)

PNG compression is sure to result in significantly smaller files than uncompressed TGA.  Are you referring to the file size AFTER packaging in a JAR?

Offline Anon666

aka Abuse/AbU5e/TehJumpingJawa

« Reply #7 - Posted 2005-10-24 03:19:56 »

The png format is not complicated at all, infact I would say it is one of the simplest advanced image formats.

Any differences in decoding speed bwteen png & tga should be solely down to zlib decompression Vs rle decompression.
(Obviously zlib compression will always obtain superior compression ratios, at the cost of increased decoding time)

Now it has never made sense to put compressed png's inside a compressed jar file, when both are using the same compression algoithm..... but you have to overlook that insane design error on Sun's part.

For a more meaningful comparison in codec efficiency,
try comparing the loading speed of a png with uncompressed IDAT chunk, against an equivalent uncompressed  tga.
I'd wager the speeds will be nearly identical. (if they arn't - its Sun's decoder thats shit, not the png format itself >_<)

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #8 - Posted 2005-10-24 03:26:49 »

try comparing the loading speed of a png with uncompressed IDAT chunk, against an equivalent uncompressed  tga.
I'd wager the speeds will be nearly identical. (if they arn't - its Sun's decoder thats shit, not the png format itself >_<)

Last time I checked "uncompressed" was not even allowed in a PNG file, i.e. there was no way to specify uncompressed because only one "compression format" was defined for PNG files and it was zlib.   Has that changed?

Offline appel

JGO Wizard

I always win!

« Reply #9 - Posted 2005-10-24 04:45:19 »

nm.  I discovered why my game was so slow...appearently I was reloading the image for each game-loop iteration  Lips Sealed

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline JAW

Medals: 2

« Reply #10 - Posted 2005-10-24 19:27:36 »

On a test i found that a transparent GIF was far faster than the same Image ans PNG. But the GIF only suppoerts 1 or 0 transparency, while the PNG has full transparency from 0 to 100%.
This is what makes it slower, where a Gif needs only to be masked.

I had best performance when I first loaded the gif to a standard Image and then draw the Image on ARGB BufferedImage.
I used a new BufferedImage.TYPE_INT_ARGB, maybe a compatible BI with Alpha would be even better.
The performance was better than using an Image or loading directly into the BufferedImage with ImageIO.

My result was to avoid png and free transparancy whenever possible. You can do some transparency work with using AlphaComposite. Using ARGB Type BIs is far faster than using non Alpha Images. When I cant let transparency out, I draw the PNG to an BufferedImage with Alpha.

-JAW
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #11 - Posted 2005-10-24 19:35:29 »

>Are you referring to the file size AFTER packaging in a JAR?

Of course. "Now the thing is if you use webstart you need to put your stuff into jars anyways. That means it gets compressed either way and the interesting thing is that both (png and tga) are about the same size at this stage."

And you can store pngs in uncompressed fashion, too. The problem is that most applications dont give you a choice there.

Ah well, feel free to make your own tests etc Tongue

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline Anon666

« Reply #12 - Posted 2005-10-24 20:51:48 »

Last time I checked "uncompressed" was not even allowed in a PNG file, i.e. there was no way to specify uncompressed because only one "compression format" was defined for PNG files and it was zlib.   Has that changed?

png has always supported no compression (as it relies on the zlib DEFLATE algorithm which has support for no compression)  - getting a graphics package to save them in such a form is often more of a challenge.

pngcrush or optipng are both good tools for (amongst other things) generating uncompressed pngs.
Offline g666

« Reply #13 - Posted 2005-10-24 22:05:34 »

I think i might make my own image format, it'l do just what i want it to do, and nobody will be able to steal my images as easily.

desperately seeking sanity
Offline Anon666

« Reply #14 - Posted 2005-10-24 22:14:50 »

I think i might make my own image format, it'l do just what i want it to do, and nobody will be able to steal my images as easily.

yes, reinvent the wheel to protect IP that has in all likelyhood negligable value.
Personally I would consider somebody stealing art work of mine as a compliament.
Offline g666

« Reply #15 - Posted 2005-10-25 22:15:07 »

yes, reinvent the wheel to protect IP that has in all likelyhood negligable value.
Personally I would consider somebody stealing art work of mine as a compliament.

just a bit of fun.... Grin

desperately seeking sanity
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

pw (24 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (22 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (18 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (21 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (50 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (45 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (36 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (39 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (54 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (54 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org