Games in Android Showcase (132)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (603)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Alpha class for interpolated Behaviors  (Read 2151 times)
Offline croft

Junior Devvie

Java, Java, Java

« Posted 2005-09-22 23:12:24 »

Xith:

I am currently working on a Xith-compatible equivalent of the javax.media.j3d.Alpha class for interpolated Behaviors.  Although not complete, it is now in a functional state.  Should I add it to the xith-tk CVS module and, if so, in which package?

David Wallace Croft / www.CroftSoft.com / (214) 636-3790 m / Advanced Java Game Programming
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

Fire at will

« Reply #1 - Posted 2005-09-23 13:28:52 »

Sounds good to me, org.xith3d.behaviors I guess.  This is assuming that future behaviour classes will also go into this package (unlike say with loaders where there are many different ones using fourth-level packages).  Does that make sense to you?

Cheers,

Will.

Offline croft

Junior Devvie

Java, Java, Java

« Reply #2 - Posted 2005-09-26 18:35:40 »

Sounds good to me, org.xith3d.behaviors I guess.  This is assuming that future behaviour classes will also go into this package (unlike say with loaders where there are many different ones using fourth-level packages).  Does that make sense to you?

OK.

I also have a test class, AlphaTest.  Do you want me to put it in org.xith3d.test.behaviors?

Here is what I have so far:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/whoola/core/src/com/whoola/core/media/xith/behavior/

David Wallace Croft / www.CroftSoft.com / (214) 636-3790 m / Advanced Java Game Programming
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #3 - Posted 2005-09-27 01:10:17 »

Looking good!

If each test/demo are stand-alone java files (prefrable as it generally means they arn't too big and people can understand them more easily), just put it in org.xith3d.test.  If your tests/demo's are comprised of several .java files (and the complexity is such you don't wish to just wrap the classes into the one .java file), then a sub-package of test is probably the way to go.

Will.

Offline croft

Junior Devvie

Java, Java, Java

« Reply #4 - Posted 2005-09-27 19:44:23 »

If each test/demo are stand-alone java files (prefrable as it generally means they arn't too big and people can understand them more easily), just put it in org.xith3d.test.  If your tests/demo's are comprised of several .java files (and the complexity is such you don't wish to just wrap the classes into the one .java file), then a sub-package of test is probably the way to go.

OK, AlphaTest added to xith-tk org.xith3d.test and a number of Behavior classes added to xith-tk org.xith3d.behaviors.  I'm still working on them.

Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #5 - Posted 2005-09-28 02:41:46 »

Excellent!  You will make a lot of people happy with this.

I might think about using them myself now.  I never used behaviours in Java3D - java3D was in it's "stalling" fase and I was looking for alternatives when Xith3D started up.   Are you intending to implement all behaviours that were in Java3D?

Will.

Offline Amos Wenger

Senior Devvie

Everything's possible, but not everything's fun...

« Reply #6 - Posted 2005-09-28 13:48:08 »

I did not look at the code, but are "Behaviors" a mean of moving objects in a predefined way ?
If yes, I would have some comments to do (although they seems very cool) :
  - What are they doing in a scenegraph ?
  - If we use a dynamics engine, they are useless
  - Why not start another util library and put these there ?
  - I don't critic the work, but the place where it is..

Anyway, croft, it makes me happy that WIllDenniss is not completely alone working on Xith3D.

"Once you start working on something, don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it. People who work sincerely are the happiest"
Offline croft

Junior Devvie

Java, Java, Java

« Reply #7 - Posted 2005-09-28 18:17:58 »

I might think about using them myself now.  I never used behaviours in Java3D - java3D was in it's "stalling" fase and I was looking for alternatives when Xith3D started up.   Are you intending to implement all behaviours that were in Java3D?

Not sure.  What I want to be able to do is to map animation code in a COLLADA file to a Behavior object in a scene graph in a consistent manner.  My other objective is to convert a broadcast event about a virtual object moving into a Behavior in the local view.

Offline croft

Junior Devvie

Java, Java, Java

« Reply #8 - Posted 2005-09-28 18:23:21 »

I did not look at the code, but are "Behaviors" a mean of moving objects in a predefined way ?
If yes, I would have some comments to do (although they seems very cool) :
  - What are they doing in a scenegraph ?
  - If we use a dynamics engine, they are useless
  - Why not start another util library and put these there ?
  - I don't critic the work, but the place where it is..

By Behaviors I mean something almost identical to the Behavior class and its subclasses in the Java 3D API.

Anyway, croft, it makes me happy that WIllDenniss is not completely alone working on Xith3D.

I am in a rare position where my work allows me to use and create Open Source.  This is because we are funded by a government research grant.  I think that all government research grants should require as part of the grant contract the release of the developed source code as Open Source.

Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #9 - Posted 2005-09-29 00:55:20 »

It also makes me happy Smiley

Indeed David, you are very fortunate that your work allows the use of and contributions to Open Source.  I believe Xith3D is quite business friendly with it's BSD-like license.  The downside of that is that contributions back are not compulsary, but people who do make contributions are helping grow the same API that they are taking advantage of (not to mention thanking the other developers for their code).

I'm really happy to see so much development going on, lets keep it up!

Cheers,

Will.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ollix

Junior Newbie

« Reply #10 - Posted 2006-01-04 22:13:53 »

Hi there,

I also would like to see behaviours in Xith3D. I don't understand your discussion in this thread: how could you implement Behaviours, when the base classes are not yet implemented? Both the latest release and CVS don't show any sign of changes lately. Am I missing something?
:ollix
Offline croft

Junior Devvie

Java, Java, Java

« Reply #11 - Posted 2006-01-05 17:17:44 »

I also would like to see behaviours in Xith3D. I don't understand your discussion in this thread: how could you implement Behaviours, when the base classes are not yet implemented? Both the latest release and CVS don't show any sign of changes lately. Am I missing something?

I'm not sure what you mean by "base classes".

Here is what I have so far:
https://xith-tk.dev.java.net/source/browse/xith-tk/src/org/xith3d/behaviors/

Offline ollix

Junior Newbie

« Reply #12 - Posted 2006-01-05 17:56:21 »

Ok, sorry.
I took a look at an old repository and didn't see the impl directory. I was refering to the WakeupCriterion classes, when I wrote "base classes", but all I saw was the interfaces.
The repository you are working in is the current one to use? I only saw the one inside the xith 3d project, but obviously that is outdated?
I am working on an WakeupOnAWTEvent class. Should I post it here, if it works?
cheers
Offline ollix

Junior Newbie

« Reply #13 - Posted 2006-01-05 21:07:02 »

hi again,

i am having trouble using the behaviors. Whatever I do, it seems, that the Behaviors are not at all triggered. Do you have an example at hand?
I would really appreciate any help on this.
Thanks
Offline arne

Senior Devvie

money is the worst drug- we should not let it rule

« Reply #14 - Posted 2006-01-05 21:40:48 »

The repository you are working in is the current one to use?
Yep that's the one. It is the cvs page of the xith-tk project. You can't get more up-to date Wink
Sure. You're welcome.

Only one thing I'd like to mention to you: Unlike Java3D in Xith3d Behaviors are not the only possibility to have animation and stuff. You normally do things from the render-loop directly.

:: JOODE :: Xith3d :: OdeJava ::
Offline Amos Wenger

Senior Devvie

Everything's possible, but not everything's fun...

« Reply #15 - Posted 2006-01-06 12:27:04 »

Our friend ollix may have confused xith3d and xith-tk CVS repository.  Smiley
The first is the core, and the other is the Xith Toolkit. Behaviors are part of the Xith toolkit, since they're not needed for Xith to run.

"Once you start working on something, don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it. People who work sincerely are the happiest"
Offline croft

Junior Devvie

Java, Java, Java

« Reply #16 - Posted 2006-01-06 17:48:45 »

I wrote instructions for you, "How to Add a Behavior":
https://xith-tk.dev.java.net/source/browse/xith-tk/src/org/xith3d/behaviors/package.html?rev=1.8&view=auto&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

There does not appear to be any javadoc online for the xith-tk behavior packages.

Offline croft

Junior Devvie

Java, Java, Java

« Reply #17 - Posted 2006-01-06 18:21:24 »

i am having trouble using the behaviors. Whatever I do, it seems, that the Behaviors are not at all triggered. Do you have an example at hand?

OK, I just now wrote detailed instructions here:
https://xith-tk.dev.java.net/source/browse/xith-tk/src/org/xith3d/behaviors/package.html?rev=1.9&view=auto&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Offline ollix

Junior Newbie

« Reply #18 - Posted 2006-01-08 17:22:44 »

Thanks a lot David, that's what I needed.
I will play with it a little and later post my Behaviours....

cheers
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

rwatson462 (36 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (29 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (61 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (98 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (58 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (74 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (76 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (136 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (127 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (37 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org