News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  Macro / Inlineable  (Read 7728 times)
Offline cborders

Junior Devvie

« Posted 2005-08-29 13:45:24 »

I hope this is the right section, if not feel free to move it!

Does declaring a method as final allow java to treat it as a macro so that it is substituted instead of having the overhead of a method call?  If not then how could one create a "macro" or "inlineable" method?
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #1 - Posted 2005-08-29 13:57:39 »

You don't.
Inlining a method is completely up to the JVM implementation. Declaring something "final" doesn't mean it will or won't inline. Only use final for design reasons, it most probably won't make any difference, performance-wise, and even if it does it is specific to that one JVM you're running on.
In my experience, it's best to rely on HotSpot's voodoo magic, and not try to make it do things. Hotspot will inline whatever it thinks will lead to a valuable optimization, and inlining might not always lead to better performance.

Offline Mark Thornton

Senior Devvie

« Reply #2 - Posted 2005-08-29 17:00:22 »

There was a time when declaring methods as final did make a (performance) difference. Which is why you still sometimes see advice suggesting this. It might still make a difference in some environments --- perhaps J2ME for phones and similar. However if your target is desktop or server environments and you are not running a museum, then as Erik suggested, don't use final for this purpose.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Linuxhippy

Senior Devvie

Medals: 1

Java games rock!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2005-08-29 18:32:27 »

Declaring a method as "final" has the advantage that the runtime is guaranteed that always the same method entry-point point is taken since the method may not be overridden.

Modern JVMs are able to optimize this pretty well, however theres still some overhead associated with it - but by far not enough to desctroy your code by declaring methods as final which should not be final by design.

I would suggest using a bytecode-optimizer as proguard ( http://proguard.sf.net ), which is able to perform closed-world optimizations on your code (making everything possible final, some stuff static, inline getts/setters in bytecode) which reduces code-size and makes your code even faster withought destroying your source.

lg Clemens
Offline cborders

Junior Devvie

« Reply #4 - Posted 2005-08-29 19:01:12 »

Very cool!  Thank you all for the replies! Grin
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Maximumisness

« Reply #5 - Posted 2005-08-29 20:57:35 »

Personally, I've never seen the slightest performance improvement after declaring stuff "final".

As for proguard, I just gave it one more shot with JEmu2 (I've tried it before with the JEmu2's predecessors).
At first I got a got a StackOverflowException. After some twiddling, I got rid of the error by disabling optimizations, and the result was a .jar of significantly reduced size (enough to make it worthwhile). Unfortunately, I got a security exception: something to do with the byte code verifier.
After doing more playing with the various options, I finally got something that *worked*, but it was only <2kb smaller than the original (which weighs in at 987kb) and I had to disable basically everything. So for me it was not at all worth the effort, but of course YMMV...
Maybe I was just not meant to use obfuscators  Grin

Offline K.I.L.E.R

Senior Devvie

Java games rock!

« Reply #6 - Posted 2005-08-29 22:48:17 »

Why wont inlining always lead to a performance increase?

Vorax:
Is there a name for a "redneck" programmer?

Jeff:
Unemployed. Wink
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 437
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #7 - Posted 2005-08-29 23:59:06 »

Sometimes if you inline too much you end up with, say, a loop that's just a bit too bloated to fit nicely in the L1 CPU cache, which is a big performance hit as the cache will just thrash back and forth to the L2 cache as the loop executes each iteration. And other crazy cases.

Cas Smiley

Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #8 - Posted 2005-08-30 00:09:33 »

Why wont inlining always lead to a performance increase?

Decalring something final is NOT inlining.

Decalring soemthign final has a very specific semantic meaning which is that it cannot over-ridden.

Thsi is unecessary for inlining.  Modern VMs use much more sphisticated techniques to determine inlinability.

That answer the question?

Edit: Cas is correct too, if thats what you wer askign and i misunderstood.  too much inlining can screw up cache performance. One of the many advantages a run-time compiler has over an ahead-of-time compiler is that it can adjust the size of code blocks to fit your current cache size.

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Maximumisness

« Reply #9 - Posted 2005-08-30 08:26:56 »

One of the many advantages a run-time compiler has over an ahead-of-time compiler is that it can adjust the size of code blocks to fit your current cache size.

Do you know if HotSpot actually does that already, or is this a possible future enhancement?

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline K.I.L.E.R

Senior Devvie

Java games rock!

« Reply #10 - Posted 2005-08-30 08:40:52 »

Jeff, I realise "final"-'ing methods doesn't inline them.
I'm not new to Java. Smiley

The cache part is what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Vorax:
Is there a name for a "redneck" programmer?

Jeff:
Unemployed. Wink
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #11 - Posted 2005-08-30 09:38:13 »

I'm not so sure Hotspot currently knows about the size of the L1 caches but the inlining amount is tuneable with a trio of commandline parameters. When you're at the stage of fiddling with inlining tuning you're probably deep into the realms of platform-specific optimisation though for released products.

Cas Smiley

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Maximumisness

« Reply #12 - Posted 2005-08-30 09:47:12 »

Exactly. You can't expect your customers to go fiddle with such platform dependent, specialized JVM-specific options. The JVM should be doing that automatically at runtime.

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #13 - Posted 2005-08-30 16:00:52 »

I would suggest using a bytecode-optimizer as proguard ( http://proguard.sf.net ), which is able to perform closed-world optimizations on your code (making everything possible final, some stuff static, inline getts/setters in bytecode) which reduces code-size and makes your code even faster withought destroying your source.

lg Clemens

I would strongly advise that you never ever touch that unless you have a hugely important reason to.

Proguard does not generally improve performance at all, it just decreases download sizes a little - and it has many small-but-irritating-and-time-wasting bugs like the one described above (I *have* to use it for stuff, sadly, because of a checkbox "has been obfuscated?" I have to be able to tick. Even though obfuscation has no postive effect at all. Don't ask Sad).

You will get large numbers of people unable to play your game because of bugs in the obfuscation parts (if you use them; most of the perf opt I've seen is special cases of obfuscation), and the stack traces they send you will be useless.

OTOH, if you're writing a 4kb game, every byte counts Wink Cheesy...

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #14 - Posted 2005-08-31 05:09:02 »

I'm not so sure Hotspot currently knows about the size of the L1 caches but the inlining amount is tuneable with a trio of commandline parameters.

Hmm. I tholught it figured that out for itself.

We can check with the VM guys to knwo for sure....

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Offline Linuxhippy

Senior Devvie

Java games rock!

« Reply #15 - Posted 2005-08-31 09:55:59 »

I would strongly advise that you never ever touch that unless you have a hugely important reason to.
Proguard does not generally improve performance at all, it just decreases download sizes a little - and it has many small-but-irritating-and-time-wasting bugs like the one described above
Yes, there are some bugs in it - but hey have a look at the java-bug-databse. java imho very buggy and you still use it ;-)

You will get large numbers of people unable to play your game because of bugs in the obfuscation parts (if you use them; most of the perf opt I've seen is special cases of obfuscation),
Well to test it is in general a good idea ;-)
The only problem (which is documented) I've seen with proguards optimizations is agressiv overwrriting of methods which does not wirk with early JRE-1.2 BETAs - if it works on one JVM it works on any other too.

and the stack traces they send you will be useless.
Wrong - stack-traces are still valid, theres a tool which converts them (you can even force to include line-numbers).

lg Clemens
Offline Raghar

Junior Devvie

Ue ni taete 'ru hitomi ni kono mi wa dou utsuru

« Reply #16 - Posted 2005-08-31 18:36:13 »

Inlining could cause unneccessary high dumping of micro instruction cache. It could also force CPU to convert native code into CPU microcode at runtime. Current CPUs have aprox 12 - 16 kinstruction cache, so it could happen quickly.
Offline Abuse

JGO Knight

Medals: 15

falling into the abyss of reality

« Reply #17 - Posted 2005-09-03 18:44:44 »

stack traces they send you will be useless.

Not strictly true, proguard can generate an obfuscation map to convert obfuscated stack traces into meaningful traces.

You will ofcourse still lose line numbers though.

Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen! Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54785909/EliteIVsmaller.png
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #18 - Posted 2005-09-03 19:08:09 »

Yes, there are some bugs in it - but hey have a look at the java-bug-databse. java imho very buggy and you still use it ;-)

Proguard can break any code I write, so that I have to re-write my code to make PG happy. No library I can use will do that to me. The risks are greater, and I dont have time to be debugging two platforms in parallel. Shrug. Maybe you dont care, but IME most people do, as soon as they start running into artificial bugs that are being introduced by the "optimizer".

and the stack traces they send you will be useless.
Wrong - stack-traces are still valid, theres a tool which converts them (you can even force to include line-numbers).

That would make things a lot less worse. Have you got a link?

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline pepijnve

Junior Devvie

Java games rock!

« Reply #19 - Posted 2005-09-06 10:03:02 »

Proguard can break any code I write, so that I have to re-write my code to make PG happy.
If some of the optimizations break code, I guess you should file some bug reports. I remember Eric (Proguard author and coworker) telling me that he was very reluctant to implement byte code optimization because he doubted the net effect of this and that it could break code. So my guess is that if you've found a bug he'll be more than happy to fix it.

That would make things a lot less worse. Have you got a link?
Retrace is part of the proguard distribution and does exactly that
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Exp: 12 years

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #20 - Posted 2005-09-11 01:33:01 »

Sometimes if you inline too much you end up with, say, a loop that's just a bit too bloated to fit nicely in the L1 CPU cache, which is a big performance hit as the cache will just thrash back and forth to the L2 cache as the loop executes each iteration. And other crazy cases.

Cas Smiley

I can see how this applies to loop un-rolling, but not inlining.  If you have a method called in a loop you have the method call plus the method body (not yet inlined) to fit in the cache.  If it is inlined you only have the method body to fit in the cache, without the additional instructions of the method call.

What am I missing?

Offline Mark Thornton

Senior Devvie

« Reply #21 - Posted 2005-09-11 09:16:12 »

I can see how this applies to loop un-rolling, but not inlining.  If you have a method called in a loop you have the method call plus the method body (not yet inlined) to fit in the cache.  If it is inlined you only have the method body to fit in the cache, without the additional instructions of the method call.

What am I missing?
If the method is called from more than one place, inlining will produce multiple copies of the body.
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #22 - Posted 2005-09-11 11:46:04 »

Not only that but an inlined method may call other inlineable methods. The compiler will effectively flatten all the calls it can down to a specific depth (tuneable, I believe, by the -XX:MaxInlineSize and -XX:FreqInlineSize flags) as I understand it. I'm not sure how you tune the depth it'll flatten code to though.

BTW I just found an interesting switch:
-XX:CompileOnly=test.Test

which would appear to tell the compiler to only compile one specific class.

Cas Smiley

Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

Medals: 2

pixels! :x

« Reply #23 - Posted 2005-09-11 13:23:09 »

Personally, I've never seen the slightest performance improvement after declaring stuff "final".

As for proguard, I just gave it one more shot with JEmu2 (I've tried it before with the JEmu2's predecessors).
At first I got a got a StackOverflowException. After some twiddling, I got rid of the error by disabling optimizations, and the result was a .jar of significantly reduced size (enough to make it worthwhile). Unfortunately, I got a security exception: something to do with the byte code verifier.
After doing more playing with the various options, I finally got something that *worked*, but it was only <2kb smaller than the original (which weighs in at 987kb) and I had to disable basically everything. So for me it was not at all worth the effort, but of course YMMV...
Maybe I was just not meant to use obfuscators Grin

With pack/gz compression...
JEmu2.jar         1,014,155 Bytes
JEmu2.jar.pack.gz   224,055 Bytes

Shocked

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #24 - Posted 2005-09-11 14:51:00 »

pack.gz is incredible stuff and I can't figure out why they don't retrofit it into 1.4 ASAP.

Cas Smiley

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #25 - Posted 2005-09-11 15:47:22 »

Is the pack.gz stuff documented at all???  I tried once to figure out how it is supposed to work and it wasn't clear what exactly pack did or how it was to be used.  Do the classloaders know how to read directly from the .jar.pack.gz file?  Do you have to use a certain file extension for it to work properly?  Or is it not directly usable in packed .gz form, and it must be manually expanded after downloading?

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #26 - Posted 2005-09-11 18:23:03 »

A packed jar needs to be unpacked properly before it can be used like a normal jar using new classes in the JRE. More than that I don't really know.

Cas Smiley

Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

Medals: 2

pixels! :x

« Reply #27 - Posted 2005-09-11 20:00:30 »

@swpalmer

Yes, its documented. Kind of. Well, the bad thing is that the docu only comes with an servlet example. Right now I've written 2 and a half php versions and the article is like 80% done (needs some re-structuring).

Well, the classloader doesnt do it. The JWS client does the work. Its basically on-the-fly decompression (before saving the files to disk)... the rest is as usual.

All you need for using it is some server sided logic. Oh and its backward compatible... all you need to do is sending the right stuff accordingly to the jws-client's accepted encoding (basically).

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #28 - Posted 2005-09-12 13:07:29 »

I have an application that I distribute on Windows only has a single downloadable installer.  The installer included the JRE, which we install for private use of our application - we don't want a public JRE used so we have control for QA purposes.  We've found several issues with minor upgrades e.g.1.5.0_01 to 1.5.0_03 .. the _03 release will hard crash in the JVM after a day or so of running our app.

Since the JRE is a large percentage of the download I was thinking it would be cool to use the pack200 tech. to improve the situation. Unfortunately we are using InstallAnywhere, which needs the JRE itself in order to run... and includes it as a ZIP archive.  So it seems custom code to unpack the JARs in the JRE will never get a chance to run Sad.

I guess I should file an enhancement request with ZeroG...

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #29 - Posted 2005-09-12 14:34:55 »

I guess you should use NSIS with LZMA compression instead and forget ZeroG.

Cas Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Mr.CodeIt (22 views)
2014-12-23 03:34:11

rwatson462 (53 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (45 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (83 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (110 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (78 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (89 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (94 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (155 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (151 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org