Games in Showcase (506)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (466)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  FPS: what's the expectation?  (Read 6074 times)
Offline GergisKhan

"C8 H10 N4 O2"

« Posted 2002-11-06 02:28:10 »

Greets, all.

I promise to you all that in the next few months I will be very much more active.... no secret I'm writing a game, but I prefer to wait before getting into the innards.

So I want to ask a question, and I am seriously hoping I don't start a flame session here... there are reasons for asking the way I am.  

I'm forced, unfortunately, to support JDK 1.3.1 at the moment.  Mac support is critical to what I am working on, and believe me, it is the FIRST THING I am getting rid of once Apple releases the final on 1.4.1.  So I'm screwed as far as animation is concerned... I have to put up with whatever I can get in 1.3.1.

This means that I have largely depended on the expertise of you fine folk.  Your insights have been VERY critical to designing fast, clean code.  However, I think I have a rather nasty problem lurking.

Everything works currently, but it's being tested this week with multiple sprites... and I am extremely nervous.  We currently use 8 frames of image... and want to display said 8 frames in one second... now the quirky thing is that the timing is WAAAAY off when you compare the Mac versus the PC... I attribute this to a difference in the timers, even allowing for the "timer hack" so graciously provided by TheLorax (thanks for posting it again, Jeff).

So here's where I am not following: in 1.3.1, I realize I do not gain any acceleration benefits, I don't get VolatileImage, and what I *DO* get is BufferedImage, unaccelerated.  I've preloaded my images, and I redraw my backgrounds once per second, and use a single g.drawImage for every frame I render from one of two flip buffers till we've loaded the alternate one.  Put another way, we draw background once, and the moment you start moving, we draw into the second background buffer while we keep sliding in a direction from the first one.  Flip once we're at a tile boundary.  Unfortunately you can't do this for sprites, so you are forced to draw sprites EVERY render.

The big question is, how many frames can I expect UNACCELERATED JAVA to be able to produce in a second?  I keep hearing of the 400 fps demo in 1.4, I've personally seen games running 120-180 fps, and yet I don't think I can display any more than 8.  EIGHT.  That's a BIG disparity.

And with that kind of a disparity, I'm forced to ask: do the changes from 1.3 to 1.4 REALLY make that much of a difference as to give you a 10 to 1 speed increase?

What am I missing here in my bid to take over the gaming world? (just kidding, btw).

Your help is greatly appreciated.

gK

"Go.  Teach them not to mess with us."
          -- Cao Cao, Dynasty Warriors 3
Offline trembovetski

If only I knew what I'm talking about!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2002-11-06 02:38:49 »

The main thing in 1.4 which affects the framerate that much is the acceleration of offscreen images. That is, there is a way now to store your images (sprites and the backbuffer) in the vram, and then use video board's hardware to copy them around. This is WAY faster than copying from system memory to the screen.

Then, there's the FullScreen API - your app can now run in full screen mode, and BufferStrategy, which allows use of buffer flipping, which is even faster than vram-vram blit.

For more info, take a look at
http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/2D/perf_graphics.html
Offline GergisKhan

"C8 H10 N4 O2"

« Reply #2 - Posted 2002-11-06 04:36:26 »

trembovetski,

Thanks for taking the time to answer.... I really do appreciate it.

Now, what happens (I know this was asked recently but I don't think I understood the answer) in the case when you don't want to run in fullscreen mode?  My game client is designed for 800x600, but I'm not sure I want to throw the monitor into that mode forced... so I know I'm not vsync-refresh locked on the display (which would be what, 60fps?), but what else do I lose by staying in the windowing mode?

Also, is a vram-vram blit really that much faster?  That it might result in 8fps to 80 fps?  I have a hard time believing that considering that VRAM is not really running much faster than system RAM, and that I can't see a system bus transfer from one RAM to another RAM (what I assume I end up doing in 1.3.1 using g.drawImage() now) is THAT slow.

Or am I off my rocker?

Just read the article you posted.... and it did make me think that perhaps one BIG thing I need to understand is my own code.  I wonder if I'm creating the right images?  I wonder if I am doing something that slows me down?  Profiling, profiling, profiling.

Gots to read the article on creating images again.... anyone have that link anymore?

gK

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 51
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #3 - Posted 2002-11-06 07:09:18 »

The point about vRam->vRam is that it's using separate, dedicated hardware. So the CPU can set it off and then continue with whatevers up next. Contrast that with system->vRam (which would be done at the end of each frame otherwise) which is incredably slow comparativly.

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 284
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #4 - Posted 2002-11-06 09:19:56 »

The other point about VRAM->VRAM is the -> bit, often overlooked, which is a bus transfer of the data. When the bus is a super-fast internal little thing sat on the graphics card itself you're going as fast as can be. But a system RAM blit has to grab the data out of system RAM, up to the CPU, and then back down the AGP or even PCI bus to the graphics card, which *then* has to munge it into its own memory. You can see that'd be a lot slower, and yes, 10x slower in fact.

In 1.3, you are shafted, performance-wise, and there's nothing you can do about it. The only reasonable piece of advice is this: if you're using Java because it's cross platform, deploy it on the biggest platform first, which is Windows, under 1.4.1. Wait a little while for the Mac 1.4 port. You can always busy yourself with getting Linux to work in the meantime.

If you're using Java just because you like the language and want to write a Mac game, you remain in your shafted state, and will likely go insane, or eat your toes, or stick pins in effigies of Gosling.

Cas Smiley

Offline lilspikey

Senior Newbie

Computers Stole My Social Skills

« Reply #5 - Posted 2002-11-06 09:36:29 »

btw if you are a member of the Apple Developers Connection (free for th basic mmbrship) you can get the beta of 1.4.1.  It needs x.2, but at least it's there.

John

Offline Themroc

« Reply #6 - Posted 2002-11-06 10:01:12 »

VRAM is much faster: faster clock, 128bit bus (new ones even 256), dedicated HW-unit for blitting, possibly running paralel with the CPU.

The Windows-JAVA1.3 had terrible problems with Images that were allocated with Transparency.BITMASK,  use TRANSLUCENT on Java1.3, if you need any transparency at all. But be sure to use BITMASK when you detect a 1.4 java. Don't know if there are BITMASK problems on Mac-Java 1.3
Offline Fraggle

Senior Newbie

Java is Great!

« Reply #7 - Posted 2002-11-06 11:57:42 »

I use a 1.1 JVM for most of my games (applet).

Some are as big as 600*480 and I can definitly push more than 8 fps (I would say.. around 35 fps for a common game running around 64 sprites).

And I'm certainly not using all the features I could (mainly because I haven't found them yet).

I know many high performance game developper get ride of the classic way of drawing frame and do everything into with a MemoryImageSource as the pixel buffer and draw pixel by pixel themselves.

On another subject, I'm looking into GBA (game boy advance) developpement right now (quite interresting and well though piece of gaming hardware).

Is there a way to catch the Vertical Blank moment in java? (1.1 if possible..)
Under gba, you use that time to do all your update.. and I'm starting to think of a new game engine very similar to the gba hardware..

Thanks,

Seb

Build multiplayers mobile java game for a living.
Offline GergisKhan

"C8 H10 N4 O2"

« Reply #8 - Posted 2002-11-06 15:31:00 »

Thanks to all for your responses!

I'm proud to be part of such a great group; I wish I would be more help here and there!

So I see that for the present, we're hosed since we're on 1.3.1.  And I think I understand what we're experiencing a problem with....

... but that still doesn't fully explain getting only 8fps unless I don't know what I'm doing as far as blitting goes.

Can someone explain how they are achieving 35fps in 1.1?  My game screen is a 512x512 panel that has its own thread animating it.

Also, Orangy, you mentioned that vram-vram is what happens in 1.4.1... but isn't there an initial copy when you first dump data?  And what happens when the vram cache is dirty?  Are you also doing a system->vram copy at that point, and what does it do to your framerate?

gK

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #9 - Posted 2002-11-06 16:03:37 »

Can someone explain how they are achieving 35fps in 1.1?  My game screen is a 512x512 panel that has its own thread animating it.
By doing the blitting/drawing yourself into a MemoryImageSource or (for Java2) a BufferedImage (pixel per pixel). I get up to 45fps @512*512 when doing perspective correct, filtered and gouraud-shaded texture-mapping using this method (that's on an Athlon XP 2000+).

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline GergisKhan

"C8 H10 N4 O2"

« Reply #10 - Posted 2002-11-06 16:07:36 »

Egon,

Thanks, but I still don't get it.  What's the difference between just using a BufferedImage and drawing pixel per pixel on a BufferedImage?

Are you trying to avoid using the g.drawImage() using this technique?

gK

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #11 - Posted 2002-11-06 16:16:05 »

Are you trying to avoid using the g.drawImage() using this technique?
Yes...you are basically trying to avoid all g.drawStuff()s using this method. The drawback is that you are on your own and sometimes have to reinvent the wheel.

Offline GergisKhan

"C8 H10 N4 O2"

« Reply #12 - Posted 2002-11-06 16:23:26 »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I wonder how much faster this might be.

I just changed over some image creation stuff to using Transparency.TRANSLUCENT and not using new BufferedImage() but I got no help there.

I wonder... is there any example of doing your own copying instead of drawImage()?

gK

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #13 - Posted 2002-11-06 17:09:18 »

I wonder how much faster this might be.
I wonder... is there any example of doing your own copying instead of drawImage()?
I hacked together a little applet:
http://www.jpct.net/test/
I uses the 2d blitting methods my 3d engine offers, so it comes with the complete engine in a JAR. That's why it is around 100K in size...the actual 2d blitting code alone would be MUCH smaller.
I displays 30 sprites (64*64 each) on a 512*512*24bpp framebuffer. Black pixels of the sprites are transparent.
It uses a MemoryImageSource when running under 1.1 and a BufferedImage for JAVA2.

Offline GergisKhan

"C8 H10 N4 O2"

« Reply #14 - Posted 2002-11-06 17:14:08 »

Holy cow, that's incredible!

Using the 1.3 plug-in I'm getting 51fps!  That's what I need!

Any chance I can see the source code?

gK

Offline Themroc

« Reply #15 - Posted 2002-11-06 17:14:28 »

I hope I have not confused you:
Only use TRANSLUCENT for images that actually need transparency, for all other use OPAQUE. And make an image creation subroutine that checks if the java version is 1.4 or better, then use BITMASK for  images that need transparency.
And as I said: I don't know if BITMASK makes problem on the Mac.

I once made a thread in the old forum about it and wrote a very short demo applet that does nothing else than blitting stuff:
http://www.zoncon.com/various/testcase1/TestCase.html

It might give you a hint which image might be fastest on your JVM. And watch closely if the BITMASK blit looks different than the TRANSLUCENT blit (looks same as expected on 1.4, but different on 1.3)
Offline GergisKhan

"C8 H10 N4 O2"

« Reply #16 - Posted 2002-11-06 17:20:41 »

The 1.4 plug-in in my browser reports a 4 to 1 speed improvement by using BITMASK as opposed to TRANSLUCENT.  I still have to figure out what happens in 1.3...

gK

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #17 - Posted 2002-11-06 17:46:18 »

Any chance I can see the source code?
It's part of the engine, so this would be difficult. Anyway, i tried to type some code fragments out of my head for BufferedImage. Note that this won't compile or anything...it's just to show the basic principle (using a BufferedImage only, MemoryImageSource is slightly different):

BufferedImage output = new BufferedImage(width, height, BufferedImage.TYPE_INT_RGB);
DataBufferInt data = (DataBufferInt) output.getRaster().getDataBuffer();
int[] pixels = data.getData();   // the destination bitmap
int[] src = *the source-bitmap (the sprite) in RGB*

startDest = *where the blitting starts in the destination bitmap*;
startSrc = *where the blitting starts in the source bitmap

for (int y=0; y<ySize; y++) {                      
  for (int x=0; x<xSize; x++) {                            
      pixels[startDest+x]=src[startSrc+x];                        
  }                        
  startDest+=width;                        
  startSrc+=srcWidth;                    
}

g.drawImage(output, 0, 0, null);

This code lacks clipping and transparency-handling and and and...but maybe you get the idea.

Edit: I changed the sprite in the applet. Using 24bpp for a single colored sprite is rather senseless.

Offline GergisKhan

&quot;C8 H10 N4 O2&quot;

« Reply #18 - Posted 2002-11-08 07:22:37 »

Many thanks, Egon.  I will consider doing this myself, but it might not be worth the effort just yet if 1.4.1 is so close on the Mac.

I did run the test applet Themroc graciously provided: there is almost 4 to 1 decrease in speed by using 1.3 instead of 1.4... at one point drawing was approaching 2 seconds!  Ouch.

I see now there is a big difference in images that are VRAM cached versus in system memory.  However, that latest post about getting 35 fps in 1.3 really scared me, and I started a new thread regarding drawing loops... If I cannot make it past 8fps I think I have much bigger problems to worry about, like the effectiveness of my rendering code.

gK

Offline cknoll

Flame On!

« Reply #19 - Posted 2002-11-13 18:57:56 »

I was extremely impressed by Egon's demo with the fast blitting, (i got like 100fps and it was very smoothe), but i wanted to compare with IE's JVM.....The good news is that IE got about 50 fps, the bad news is that while the IE JVM was running the applet, the plugin could not execute (or it was executing at like 1fps when I managed to get the web-page loaded).  Maybe it's a flaw in the plugin, or maybe Ie knows how to grab all the processor from other processes.

-Chris
Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #20 - Posted 2002-11-13 19:06:26 »

...the bad news is that while the IE JVM was running the applet, the plugin could not execute (or it was executing at like 1fps when I managed to get the web-page loaded).  Maybe it's a flaw in the plugin, or maybe Ie knows how to grab all the processor from other processes.
That's a normal behaviour...both VMs are grabbing all they can if needed, but the Sun VM is more multitasking friendly. Try to run an applet in the MS VM under Windows NT4 and you'll see IE drawing its buttons slower then GEOS did it on the C-64  Grin

Edit: If one really wants to, there is room for improvement on the MS VM. Because it's Java1.1 in this case, the engine uses a MemoryImageSource and therefor newPixels() has to be called for parts of the screen that has been updated since the last frame. I'm doing this for the whole framebuffer at the moment but this is not really needed in this example. Anyway, it was just meant to be a simple demo and jPCT is a 3D engine. The 2D blitting methods are just an add-on.

BTW: Another version using 120 sprites can be found here:http://www.jpct.net/test2/

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 284
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #21 - Posted 2002-11-13 20:41:22 »

Hehe, my scrolly map is being rendered at about 200fps Smiley

Cas Smiley

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #22 - Posted 2002-11-13 20:49:06 »

Hehe, my scrolly map is being rendered at about 200fps Smiley
Cas Smiley
I guess you are talking about this hardware accelerated crap.... Grin Who wants that? Who needs that? (*really thinking about about how LWJGL will fit into jPCT*)

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #23 - Posted 2002-11-13 21:54:17 »

And finally a version which doesn't do blitting into the framebuffer but into a texture and then uses environment mapping on a sphere with the dynamic texture as an environment map....to bring your system to its knees... Tongue

The URL is (you guessed it): http://www.jpct.net/test3

Offline nonnus29

Giving Java a second chance after ludumdare fiasco

« Reply #24 - Posted 2002-11-14 02:27:45 »

Egon - You need a new demo!  That one is how old?  heh heh....
Offline GergisKhan

&quot;C8 H10 N4 O2&quot;

« Reply #25 - Posted 2002-11-14 02:39:31 »

Egon,

As far as hardware acceleration goes, in 1.4.1 isn't that pretty much handled by the OS?  Even as far as SWT goes ( read another thread and it stuck in my mind), it all translates down to the OS layer, so as long as it exists for each OS a product is addressing, who cares?

Course, in applets, which I don't write, and in 1.3.1, which is the bane of my existence, hardware acceleration doesn't exist.  Suffer, we must, says Master Yoda.

gK

Offline Fraggle

Senior Newbie

Java is Great!

« Reply #26 - Posted 2002-11-19 12:26:15 »

Hi again,

I worked since last week on a new graphics engine using blitting technics (as explained in this thread).
I though you might be interrested to know the result:

Computer: Athlon 1.4Ghz
3 Sprites size ranging from 18*18 to 50*50.
Windows size: 350*350 (changing windows size doesn't affect performance much).

My engine does support bitmask, normal blitting, alpha blended blitting (10 levels), rotation and scaling.
I can use alpha blend with rotation & scaling. But not yet scaling + rotation at the same time.
My scaling routine sucks right now (hence the poor results) but I'm working on it.
I know there's still room for improvement.

nb of spritesnormalalpharotationscale
16 sprites99 fps95 fps83 fps66 fps
32 sprites91 fps91 fps74 fps62 fps
64 sprites80 fps74 fps52 fps39 fps
128 sprites65 fps55 fps37 fps22 fps
256 sprites44 fps40 fps21 fps- fps
512 sprites29 fps25 fps12 fps- fps

I think after the optimization of the scaling routine, I'll get scaling fps around the alpha fps (I know how to do it but i'm lazy Smiley ).

Feel free to share your comment..

Seb

Offline Fraggle

Senior Newbie

Java is Great!

« Reply #27 - Posted 2002-11-19 12:31:15 »

Oops I forgot to say:

This was using 1.3.1 jvm (not yet tested under MS JVM).

Seb

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (72 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (68 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (79 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (65 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (80 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (104 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (164 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (260 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (210 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (220 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org