News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  RPG Suggestions  (Read 4184 times)
Offline zparticle

Thick As A Brick

« Posted 2005-08-09 17:25:31 »

I've been toying with the idea of creating a smal RPG kind of like a cross between the Zork and Ultima series. Many puzzles to solve, single player, smooth scrolling, etc...

I was wondering what things people particularly enjoyed about the two series and what things annoyed them the most.

What kind of character creation should be put in, type based like D&D (fighter, wizard, ect) or a single character that can fight and use spells?

What kind of combat system?

Should the setting be futuristic or midevil?

What kind of movement should it use, mouse clicking or cursor keys?

You get the idea, just start throwing out ideas.

Ultima I Maps

http://www.uo.com/archive/ultima1/maps.html

Ultima IV Interface

http://newspics.rpgdot.com//galview.php?level=3&sort=&from=0&d2=881&d3=Screenshots&d4=&d5=

Ultima Remakes

http://reconstruction.voyd.net/index.php?event=project&typeKeyword=remakes

Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 77
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #1 - Posted 2005-08-10 01:53:58 »

i'd like a futuristic setting, the midevil setting is starting to boar me! of course futuristic but with magic too.

As for controls and combat, i wonder if you've ever played a game called "Silver" on the pc, its control system was a mix of keyboard and mouse, although it was a point and click movement based, you sort of used your mouse to swing the sword around, i really liked that control system but haven't seen any other games use!

characters should start of normal and gradually start to specilise in fields, such as magic, medic, gadets etc
Offline zparticle

Thick As A Brick

« Reply #2 - Posted 2005-08-10 14:06:21 »

thanks for the reply, I haven't seen Silver I'll see if I can find some info on it on the net.

I picked up the latest D&D Players Handbook and read though about half of it. It has given me a ton of ideas. I think I'm going to base my system off of the d20 Game System D&D now uses. I'll put in most of the same classes and races it uses.

The more I thought about it the more I realized that it makes since to make this a module playing system instead of just a game. So I'm now thinking I'll build the system to allow you to choose a module to play. This way I can get a lot of play milage by configuring new modules instead of having a single hard coded quest.

The up side to this is that people should be able to expand the system. For instance you might be able to create a module that is set in the future instead of the past.

I've been thinking about adding random wheather and possibly day/night cycles as well. This is going to get out of hand I can tell already. Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Breakfast

for great justice!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2005-08-10 21:26:47 »

I would still look for a more original setting- read China Mieville's New Crobuzon stories and be amazed at the possibilities that standard fantasy has missed completely...
Offline Alan_W

JGO Knight

Medals: 8
Projects: 3

Java tames rock!

« Reply #4 - Posted 2005-08-10 21:47:33 »

There's some quite nice stuff on Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_role-playing_game

If you want a plot, I quite like the list on this site (if I can find it again...)

Yep... this one - really meant for DnD and the like, but some give a suitable generic game plot

http://www.io.com/~sjohn/plots.htm

I'm trying to decide on the setting for my next game too.  The problem with a pure RPG is the amount of plot (content) that is required.  Otherwise it's just 'kill the monsters'.  Maybe a strategy or sim element would help a bit.

Alan

Time flies like a bird. Fruit flies like a banana.
Offline nonnus29

Giving Java a second chance after ludumdare fiasco

« Reply #5 - Posted 2005-08-11 00:47:12 »

Otherwise it's just 'kill the monsters'.  Maybe a strategy or sim element would help a bit.

Hack n slash can be fun if there's a bit of strategy and leveling up gives new and interesting abilities.

One of my pet ideas for an rpg is a hack n slash dungeon crawl. The dungeon is 50 huge levels of procedurally generated mazes; similar to the first wizardries.  It'd be a combination of action rpg (like zelda) with some d+d elements (skills, abilities, etc...).  Each level would have a boss.  Yes, that's alot of Bosses to come up with interesting attacks for.

Offline zparticle

Thick As A Brick

« Reply #6 - Posted 2005-08-11 14:41:14 »

Thanks for the info guys.

Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 164
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #7 - Posted 2005-08-11 19:53:18 »

Hack n slash can be fun if there's a bit of strategy and leveling up gives new and interesting abilities.

One of my pet ideas for an rpg is a hack n slash dungeon crawl. The dungeon is 50 huge levels of procedurally generated mazes; similar to the first wizardries.  It'd be a combination of action rpg (like zelda) with some d+d elements (skills, abilities, etc...).  Each level would have a boss.  Yes, that's alot of Bosses to come up with interesting attacks for.

Interesting you should say that (http://www.cokeandcode.com/asd)

Kev

Offline kaffiene
« Reply #8 - Posted 2005-08-12 05:11:54 »

hehe.... great name, Kev ;o)
Offline zparticle

Thick As A Brick

« Reply #9 - Posted 2005-08-12 15:32:55 »

Well I guess I'll go ahead and get started. If anyone is interested you'll be able to find the latest information on this project at www.scottshaver2000.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19

You'll be able to watch me fail misserably or see the system as it comes together. Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #10 - Posted 2005-08-12 17:36:06 »

Nice game, Kev, but it would be nice if there were something that explains all the buttons. Can you level up or only walk around, shoot, and assign weapons?

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 164
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #11 - Posted 2005-08-13 00:47:57 »

Fraid its early days at the moment, no help or owt, just working on the networking using the GG API. I wasn't really planning on showing anyone just yet. Just seemed like an oportune moment.

Kev

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #12 - Posted 2005-08-14 06:53:45 »

Well it's definitely going to be fun when you finish it. I'll certainly be an avid supporter. Smiley

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline nonnus29

Giving Java a second chance after ludumdare fiasco

« Reply #13 - Posted 2005-08-16 01:33:40 »

Yes, very nice!  Keep up the great work....
Offline MickeyB

my game will work, my game will work!

« Reply #14 - Posted 2005-08-30 14:54:52 »

zparticle, you going to use Planetation?

MickeyB

Current Project: http://www22.brinkster.com/mbowles/
Offline zparticle

Thick As A Brick

« Reply #15 - Posted 2005-08-30 19:21:12 »

Nope, this isn't even being done in Java, I just thought you guys might have good input for me. I've been trying to be very careful about not spamming this community with my non-java projects. But since you asked, if you want to see where I am on it check out http://www.scottshaver2000.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19 . Look in the work log topic for a link to the latest download (one of the last replys in the topic).

I was actually thinking that if it turns out well it would make a good project to convert over to Java. Then there would be a valid, full-up demostration for showing people.

EDIT: just noticed that I already had the link in an earlier post.

Offline zparticle

Thick As A Brick

« Reply #16 - Posted 2005-09-02 16:06:02 »

Here are some new screen shots from QuestMaster: www.scottshaver2000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=465#465

Offline zparticle

Thick As A Brick

« Reply #17 - Posted 2005-09-07 14:20:40 »

Okay so I've finished the basics of the system, context sensitive help, weapons, armor, general inventory, classes, races, character management (create/save/delete), die rolling, money handling and purchasing equipment. Now I'm entering the more difficult area of quest (module) management.

I'm going to use LUA as a sripting language, that decision is made and I'm comfortable with it. What I'm having a really hard time getting my head wrapped around is how much of the system is scripted.

I had intended to use the scripting to handle PC to NPC conversations. The quest builder should be able to place special NPCs into the game world that have special interaction with the PC. So the builder will have to be able to script any conversations for these NPCs.

Also I thought it would be nice if the builder could modify the maps using the scripting language. So he could say "The PC did some action, no open a locked door somewhere else in the map.".

I can't quite seem to figure out exactly where to put these hooks in. For instance should there be a generic LUA hook to call a particular script after evey character movement?

What other scripting hooks should be supplied?

Offline zparticle

Thick As A Brick

« Reply #18 - Posted 2005-12-14 19:25:24 »

I've made some progress, little at a time. Reworked the menus to be graphical instead of ordinary buttons. Have the main play area functioning and partial integrated with LUA. Again this isn't java but thought I would show that progress is being made. Smiley

http://www.scottshaver2000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=112&start=30

Offline OverKill

Java games rock!

« Reply #19 - Posted 2005-12-15 08:23:15 »

Though I am a D&D roleplayer I'd prefer a system similar to Dungeon Siege.

For my RPG I plan on doing something similar.
Offline zparticle

Thick As A Brick

« Reply #20 - Posted 2005-12-15 16:05:18 »

Yeah, this will be very similar to playing on paper.

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

radar3301 (12 views)
2014-09-21 23:33:17

BurntPizza (30 views)
2014-09-21 02:42:18

BurntPizza (22 views)
2014-09-21 01:30:30

moogie (20 views)
2014-09-21 00:26:15

UprightPath (28 views)
2014-09-20 20:14:06

BurntPizza (32 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18

Dwinin (48 views)
2014-09-12 09:08:26

Norakomi (74 views)
2014-09-10 13:57:51

TehJavaDev (102 views)
2014-09-10 06:39:09

Tekkerue (50 views)
2014-09-09 02:24:56
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org