News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Help for the n00b :(  (Read 1498 times)
Offline straydoginc

Junior Devvie

« Posted 2005-07-26 14:39:40 »

After reading around on the forumn a little bit I decided this is where I need to start.

Background information in Programming:

I have some experience in JavaScript (I know this isn't Java Tongue), PHP, XML, and ASP. Also the mySQL code to access a mySQL database.

Background in RPG creation: I have used prg makers from RPG Maker 2000, 2002 and a fun program called rpgtoolkit. Also am pretty good at 32x32 pixel tiles.

What I am trying to do:

I am trying or attempting to create a MMORPG in the Java Language using either Java 2D or OpenGL for the API. This will hopefully look like a lovely classic SNES RPG. Would like to start with a simple arena that contains a town underneath and work up from there.

Problem: I have no knowledge of Java. I am using Eclipse as my editor and really like it and managed to make a "Hello World" program which was really simple and have the Java in a NutShell book as my reference.

Solution: Well this is why I am here. After finding this forum I would like to ask for any help I can get in making this. I understand really what I need just do not have the experience or know how in the Language to do this. I am asking if any programmers interested would like to help in this project.

I know that I am asking a good deal here and appreciate any help or information given. You may reach me at straydoginc@yahoo.com or this post / forum.

Offline Jackal von ÖRF

Junior Devvie

« Reply #1 - Posted 2005-07-26 14:50:30 »

Read this first.

(Well... since you are good at making pixel tiles, maybe you could join someone else's project as a graphics designer?)

Offline kevglass

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 212
Projects: 24
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #2 - Posted 2005-07-26 15:04:46 »

You might take a look at the jrpg / mini adventure / lights of laminos project at (http://jrpg.dev.java.net) - however it seems to have gone a little quiet right now.

I've just started a new rpg dungeon crawl/hack game in SNES style.. that might be of interest to you?

My advice would be to start with OpenGL, since Java2D isn't going to cut it for large scale alphaing effects (read night/day, torches, lamps, spell effects). In addition focus on one aspect of the game first, say tilemaps and sprites, and just work thought that building some part of your game.

However, MMORPGs are notoriously hard to write, so don't expect the development to be much fun initially..

Kev[

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline straydoginc

Junior Devvie

« Reply #3 - Posted 2005-07-26 17:15:16 »

Thanks for the pic. Smiley Good times.

Now.. I actually stumbled across this place by looking at Jrpg and I do understand that the Java 2d Engine has some major limitations when it comes to the FPS and animations. This is why I would love to do it in OpenGL since I believe Direct X isn't available for this.

I also do wish to start out small. The theory is to make a simple arena with a maintaining town underneath in the tunnels. Start with 2 characters and work from there.

I have already come up with 80%+ of the content and such that I want to have. Even to the extent that I have the information concerning most of the data for the mySQL database. I even have a beefy server to run this application.

Though I am a n00b at this I do not understand how it should be that hard to develop an MMORPG. Its just a different way of thinking and laying the same files out. Are there any programs or code that would allow me examples for image/tile grabbing and the map making similar to the JRPG one?

Oh and thanx for the offer on the Game. I am interested to see what you have and what you are going for. But am not looking to join an existing project.
Offline kevglass

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 212
Projects: 24
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #4 - Posted 2005-07-26 17:50:46 »

Bearing in mind the software development you've been exposed to so far I can understand why you'd say " I do not understand how it should be that hard to develop an MMORPG" and to be honest, I think the only way you're going to understand is to have a go at it... so, go for it! If you have time along the way you might consider writing down notes about the experience and maybe then when the next guy comes along we can just point him at your text Smiley

Kev

Offline straydoginc

Junior Devvie

« Reply #5 - Posted 2005-07-26 18:11:29 »

LOL.. Very true,

I am actually writing a lot of this all down as I need to have all of what I need to get where I am planning to go. The biggest problem I am having is my lack of the language and the "Getting Started" part. Probably why I am looking for any free developers willing to work on this project with me.

Offline woogley
« Reply #6 - Posted 2005-07-26 18:48:59 »

kev is right, just go for it. I suspect when you figure out how to get tilebased maps to work, you're going to be obsessed with making "the best tilemap editor EVER" and pretty much leave the MMORPG itself in the dust even after you finish the oh-so-perfect map editor.. Tongue

But hey, that kind of stuff is fun at least, and you'll be able to say you figured out how to create tilebased maps Cheesy
Offline straydoginc

Junior Devvie

« Reply #7 - Posted 2005-07-28 15:26:21 »

Well I found an already built Map Maker that I will utilize as it contains exactly what I am looking for.

Are there any places I can look for code examples of character creation and character / keyboard input / moving around maps Huh
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #8 - Posted 2005-07-29 21:26:44 »

Whats really hard about MMOLRPGs  is the first M ... Massive.  That chnages everything as scalability comes into the picture in a big way and really compilcates how you handle your communication and your server.

My advice is to follow the following path:

(1) Build a one player game.  Get that working.

(2) Extend that to a LAN game for maybe 8 players at a time.

(3) From there go to an 8 player internet capable game.

(4) From there start thinking about how you scale up to massive numbers.

Eahc one of those steps will be a challenge and will require you to go back and re-write some of the si9mpel code you have already written to handle the new constraints.  But its the best way to learn and we cna help you through each of those steps.

Starting your game development trying to do a MMOLRPG is a  lot like starting to learn to swim with cliff diving.  I realize you don't know enough yet to even understand why its so hard, but trust us, it is.

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Offline straydoginc

Junior Devvie

« Reply #9 - Posted 2005-08-02 12:52:19 »

I very Much gotcha.

I do appreciate all the help so far with this.

Now to the next topic.
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

rwatson462 (29 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (20 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (40 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (76 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (37 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (50 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (47 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (114 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (102 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (30 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org