Games in Android Showcase (89)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (466)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  don't know how to start.  (Read 1336 times)
Offline MarianoArg

Junior Newbie

« Posted 2005-07-16 02:17:14 »

ello! My name is Mariano, i'm from Argentina. My english really sucks, so apologize me if i'm being too rude or too polite.

A short introduction: I'm a java software programmer. I've being doing this for a couple of years (i still work doing this) so i handle very well all the OOP stuff like patterns. I'm planning to write my games in Java.

I read that i should start doing a tetris, but all the stuff i've ever developed were things like MVC applications or software for administration so i'm not sure of how to make my own tetris.
My goal right now is to make a "scrolling game" like Mario Bros.
Alter that i would keep on learning to finally develope some rpg, but now i just want to be able to write a normal scrolling game to learn the basis.

I know that once i start, everything will be easier, but i just don-t know how to start programming my own tetris or arkanoid or mario bros. or whatever.

I'm not sure if try to learn using c++ or java (i'd preffer java but i didn't find lot of material, except for the "killer games programming in java" (not sure about this book, seems like i will get frustrated ). So, do you know any tutorial or something online (or pdf) that could help me?

one last question... what api do you use for 2d games? appets? (i read that there are lot of apis for c++ like "allegro" or SDL.)

Thanks!
Offline Malohkan

while (true) System.out.println("WOO!!!!");

« Reply #1 - Posted 2005-07-16 04:09:27 »

Check out my tutorial for a start.  It doesn't really walk you through, but it does point out some common misconceptions as well as good tips new programmers usually don't already know.  Play with the source code all you like to see how you can set up a basic game.

I hope this helps you!
http://www.gamelizard.com/JavaGameProgrammingPresentation.htm

Admin and Game Developer at
GameLizard.com
Play Rimscape!    |    Play Conquer!
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #2 - Posted 2005-07-16 04:13:14 »

Oh boy,

Okay, first books comments.  Another decent book is Shawn kendall's "Practical Java Game Programming".  i havent read over the 2D section, and Im biased as I wrote the networkign chapter, but all in all what i have read so far looks pretty good.
The pdegree of the writers is excellent-- it wqas written by a numerb fo teh computer game programming course instructors at Full Sail Real World Education.

Now, as to APIs and such.  If you are doing 2D you have a few choices.  You can use the FullScreen Exclusive Mode AWT API.  That combined with porper use of active rendering,  BufferStrategies and VolatileImages  will give you good eprformance  on WIndows. The problm there is that the Mac implementation of Full Screen Exclusive mdoe last trime I looked was horrible and terribly slow and the Linux implemenation, due to limits in X, isn't a whole lot better.

If you are lookign for somethign more close paltform then what msot people do is use the OpenGL 3D API but draw all on one plane. If you loo ma round you may be able to find Sprite APIs already built ontop of OGL. 

There are two primary OpenGL bindings for Java today, JOGL and LWJGL.  JOGL is backed by Sun and is in the JSR process right now to become an official stadnard.  Its biggest disadvantage is that it requires some AWT and if you are trying to slim your program down to its absolutel smallest footprint you might not want that. The other is LWJGL.   It was written and is maintained by oen of our communtiy particpants here and is itneded to be the absoltue slimmest way to get from Java to OpenGL.

For controller input you want discovery ("what are my controlelrs") and polled input.  The JInput API, also available here,  wil ldo that fro you on Mac, Windows and Linux.  LWJGL has  built in API for this. I understand the latest version actually uses JINput under the hood so there shouldnt be much difference outside of some syntax differences.

For audio again LWJGL providesi ts own, or you can use JOAL, which is the thrid "core" API available here and which ios a biding for Mac, Windows and Linux to the OpenAL audio system.

Thats basically what you need to cover for any game-- video, audio and input.  Beyond that you get into the special needs of youir particualr design.  As you get into your game and have questiosn abotu how to do tyhings Im sure we can help you with more specifics!

Good luck!  Game programming is fun... just remember that its NOTHING  like the programming you've done before.  Game programming is soft real-time programmign and the techniques are totally different.  As an example, forget everything you've learned about asynchronous events.  In  games you dont want em.  If anything, itll be closest to your MSVC message-pump loop coding.

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline MarianoArg

Junior Newbie

« Reply #3 - Posted 2005-07-16 16:42:26 »

Thanks for the answers!

Another decent book is Shawn kendall's "Practical Java Game Programming".

Any online version or something like that? Those books are not for sell in my country... and as i don't have a credit card i can't buy them in amazon  Undecided

Now, as to APIs and such.  If you are doing 2D you have a few choices.  You can use the FullScreen Exclusive Mode AWT API.  That combined with porper use of active rendering,  BufferStrategies and VolatileImages  will give you good eprformance  on WIndows. The problm there is that the Mac implementation of Full Screen Exclusive mdoe last trime I looked was horrible and terribly slow and the Linux implemenation, due to limits in X, isn't a whole lot better.

i'm in my first steps... i'm not interesting in portability yet... if it works in windows it will be just fine by now (i work with windows + eclipse 3.1).
So.. what about applets? are they used for 2d or the common choise is AWT?

If you are lookign for somethign more close paltform then what msot people do is use the OpenGL 3D API but draw all on one plane. If you loo ma round you may be able to find Sprite APIs already built ontop of OGL.

openGL scares me...  Embarrassed

Good luck!  Game programming is fun... just remember that its NOTHING  like the programming you've done before.  Game programming is soft real-time programmign and the techniques are totally different.  As an example, forget everything you've learned about asynchronous events.  In  games you dont want em.  If anything, itll be closest to your MSVC message-pump loop coding.

i know, that's why i don't know how to start and i'm asking for help...

thanks again...
i will read malokhan tutorial right now and then i will go for Shawn kendall's "Practical Java Game Programming".

wish me luck!
Offline MarianoArg

Junior Newbie

« Reply #4 - Posted 2005-07-17 02:39:21 »

i've been looking for an electronic version of "Practical Java Game Programming", but i couldn't find a thing...

i found the first chapter and the table of  contents as a sample but i couldn't find the rest of the book...
i searched the web, eDonkey, kazaa, etc...

i would buy it but it's not for sell in my country...

can anyone help me?
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #5 - Posted 2005-07-18 02:10:42 »

Thanks for the answers!

Another decent book is Shawn kendall's "Practical Java Game Programming".

Any online version or something like that? Those books are not for sell in my country... and as i don't have a credit card i can't buy them in amazon  Undecided

Sorry, not as of yet Sad

i'm in my first steps... i'm not interesting in portability yet... if it works in windows it will be just fine by now (i work with windows + eclipse 3.1).
So.. what about applets? are they used for 2d or the common choise is AWT?

Applets are highyl limited, they are basically teh worst environment (short of MIDP1.0) you can develop in, Im afraid.

Aks this question: Do you NEED to em,bed your game ina  web page?  By embed I mean make it aprt of a page that also has HTML on it.  If instead you can have your game pop up in a seperate window I would STRIONGLY advise looking at an Application launched with Java Web Start,

I understand.  You do need to knwo a bit about ;linear algenra to user an 3D library.  Having said that its pretty simple to use OGL as just a BLTer.  There may be libraries already existing to do that for you, though i dont know any off hand myself.

[

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Offline ryanm

Projects: 1

Used to be bleb

« Reply #6 - Posted 2005-07-18 11:15:34 »

Don't let it, it's easier than you think.

Read the Red Book, available online here, (I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a translation in a decent bookshop) and get stuck in.
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (79 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (71 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (82 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (66 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (82 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (106 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (166 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (262 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (212 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (221 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org