Ignorance is bliss
Today I managed to finally get the actual finished world atlas data for my extraordinarily long-in-the-development game Battledroid onto the screen, in 3D, for the first time.
The world atlas is a fiddly thing to create, and is based on actual real data. I've got a water/land projection that shows what's water and what's not; a basic terrain projection, that I hand painted in GIMP with reference to a colourful and cloud-free globe and with a bit of knowledge about latitude and a little bit of creative license (so it's like, arctic, tundra, scrubland, temperate, forest, jungle, swamp, arid, or full desert); a map of the current (2013 anyway) population density of the whole globe; and a map of the average slope gradients for the whole globe less Antarctica for which I seem to be unable to get data. The gradient data is then applied to the terrain data to determine where the terrain is mountainous and impassable. The population data is combined with a generated cellular texture to produce a pattern of urbanisation.
The normals and water map are turned into cubemaps for a geodesic sphere renderer coded by @theagentd. The combined map turned into a cubemap and from there is munged into a rectangular image that happens to match the geodesic sphere's memory layout. The globe has approx 1 million hexes (and 20 pentagons
), of which about 2/3rds are water, and most of the rest is conquerable territory. So players will have about 300,000 territories to fight over.
Here are the source textures:
Here's a view of the world, showing a heatmap of the value of resources at each hex:
And zoomed in a bit:
Just got to get it into the game UI now and make all the different data views (resource map, attack heat map, ownership map, etc)