Recently i have been thinking much about my future. Let's start from current situation.
I'm 32, from Poland, working as C# programmer in company which writes business apps. I'm married and have one kid. After work i'm writing games for android. It takes time, unfortunately time, which i could spend with my wife & kid. On the other side it helps to build some passive income. I hope that in future i could move entirely to making my own games and drop my job. But to do that i need to make some successful game(s). Writing game is not hard. Making it successful is. So it needs time, probably even couple of years. It's not easy to work 8 hours and than 2-3 at home. Also i'm feeling guilty i'm sacrificing my family time.
You may ask why i want to quit my job - there are couple of reasons:
1) In my area salaries are not that good. It's getting better, but still too low IMHO. Average net salary for programmer in my area is 1000 - 1300$ monthly. Some jobs offers even 2000$ but those are minority.
2) I'm little tired of writing business apps. I've been doing it for 9 years already.
3) I like writing games more
Another option is to work in some company which writes games. But you can't find such company in my area. So i would have to relocate (and my wife would need to quit her job) or try to find something remotely - ideally for foreign company.
What do you think i should do?
1) Maybe it's best to stay at stable job and only write games at midnight / night?
2) Quit my job now, devote myself to writing my own games and hope they will be successful enough to reach income of my daily job?
3) Look for remote job? Do you think 20 - 30$ per hour (gross) would possible rate?