1. I loved Ranarama, it was an awesome game.
2. You remake is currently a great big bag of FAIL. Please google a bit on how to package and launch java apps:
a) downloaded it, ran the JAR file == crashed
b) poked around in the directory, found a readme.txt full of garbage. Scrolled down, scrolled down some more, eventually got to instructions saying that "to run this on OS X, you have to run the file called ranarama.linux". Oh, well that makes sense.
c) I never ever ever run bash scripts from people I don't know. Do you think I'm stupid?
d) cat'ing your script, it turns out all you are doing is increasing hte heap size and then listing a bunch of JARs as classpath. NO!!!!! Learn how to make a JAR file; this list of JARs should all be *insidE* the JAR file.
e) I copy/paste your command line and run it == crashed
"Your machine does not support OpenGL via LWJGL!"
Um, no, it does. It has done ever since I bought it, and the other LWJGL stuff runs OK.
f) I hit OK on that dialog, and it switches to a bizaree fullscreen mode, goes completely whitescreen, and nothing happens for 30 secs. I panic, since I dont want to lose all my data, and I kill the app.
First of all: I'm very sorry for your problem and I accept all the criticism, positively and negatively.
I understand you are angry with me but, please, be calm.
I'll be very happy to help you to run the game, so please let me to tell you:
- The game was tested on Linux, Windows and Mac systems, working ok on all of them.
- The game works on Windows XP and Vista.
- The game works on Linux installations, but depending of the distribution and machine configuration, the game can work on different modes, including not support fullscreen.
- The game works on Mac that I know that it's based on Linux, so the above point is applied to Mac. If I'm very wrong of Mac, please help me to fix this and I will be very glad of your help.
- I distribute the game in a ZIP file that contains a README.TXT file with some ASCII art of the game's logo at first... Yes I found a lot of TXT files that uses this and I need to uncheck the "wrap lines" of the text editor to see it and scroll down. Now I know that everybody don't know this, so I'm very sorry.
- I need a lot of system specific libraries to manage OpenGL and gamepads, so they need to be outside the main JAR.
- I used freeware libraries in JARs and some authors tell me that want to have the JAR outside my JAR.
- My game needs an amount of heap space superior to the default, so I need to tell it at the start. Is there another way to make this?
- If the game cannot initialize OpenGL could be by the way of executing the script (not finding the external libraries) or a fail of LWJGL version that cannot communicate with the graphics driver.
- Check the JRE to have the last version, perhaps this permit executing the game on Java2D mode.
I remember to take PrinceOfPersia:SOT on the shop, try to install it and tell me "your computer doesn't have the right configuration, the installation is aborted"... It costed me money. Ranaremake is free.
Finally, sorry my english, my language is Cervantes idiom not Shakespeare.
I want to remember you that: If I'm very wrong of Mac, please help me to fix the package and errors and I will be very glad of your help.
Thanks in advance.