I am Rolf Jansson, one of the owners and the only employee of Wurm Online. I hope I don't offend anyone by posting in this thread but I didn't want to post in the jobs thread really since we don't really offer any monetary compensation.
Wurm Online is a java 3D MMO with a very nice openGL client initially written by Markus Persson who is a very active member here. The url is http://www.wurmonline.com.
As some of you who follows the development of Wurm may may have noticed the client dev team has dwindled and is not as active as it used to be.
I have considered my options regarding this and the way I see it they pretty much are:
1) Making the client open source. It has quite a lot of negative effects but hopefully a lot of contributions would emerge. Requires a project leader. We would have a lot of macroing and invisible walls.
2) Hiring someone from the eastern countries such as india, china, eastern europe (Could barely afford one person per month). Usually involves a lot of communication. If someone is or has very good contacts with a very affordable self-driven java developer with excellent communication skills over there please contact me.
3) Hiring someone in western countries. Less communication and project lead expected. Could afford max a few days per month. Probably worth saving the money for advertising instead.
4) Asking the players (and the openGL community) to help out like before. This is close to opensourcing but with less negative effects. It has a higher entrance level as well and fewer are expected to start contributing.
5) Asking a (swedish) game programming school to help out. I expect them to have their own projects but it may be worth a try. If you have such a contact please email me.
For now I will pursue number 4 and 5. This means that maybe you could help out!
If you are a java programmer and can consider spending some time helping out with developing the client please contact me. Especially if you know openGL.
You will be asked to do a few things before we give you access to the source code:
1) You should join the joxsi (http://joxsi.wiki.sourceforge.net/) opensource project and install it (preferrably using eclipse). This will ensure that you will be able to do the same with the client code.
2) You will be sent or asked to print an NDA that you must sign and return to me. I will cover the mail cost.
The only thing we can currently promise you in return is proper credits in the client, and of course the gratitude and admiration of the Wurm community which will last for as long as you live. If Wurm becomes an economic success things will change but that is nothing I can promise now.
The way it will work is that you will be allowed to improve the client in your favorite areas. You will be part of the client team and discuss your changes in the client dev forums. I may ask you to do something but you are free to decline and generally you will be able to improve or change the things you want very freely. If the work requires server changes it may take a while before I am able to do them depending on how big they are.
If this sounds like something you feel like doing - email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll discuss more!
Best regards and thank you for your time,